Best Food Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScorpioMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for suggestions on the best types/brands of food. I understand that it will depend on the type of fish that you have, so to make it easier what brands do you recommend?

I want to feed my fish high quality and the least processed. Food that would closely mimic what they would eat in the wild.

If it helps I'm going w/ a freshwater tank with Gourami, Guppies, Cory Cats, and a Tetra.

Thanks!

Most of my prepared foods are New Life Spectrum, Ocean Nutrition and Hikari. I prefer Hikari frozen foods. I think most fish-keepers have their favorites, and most brands are probably ok. I tend to avoid Tetra products.

NLS, Northfin and Zoo Med rank among the best prepared foods made for fish...

^^These are not my favorites nor do I use any [NLS till gone], but by analysis these are the best foods for fish..
This link list many foods and if you like to take the time to read it explains why it and how it ranks food..
Until recently no food got all 6 stars and 5 was the best...
Northfin is only 6 star...

New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula Sinking Pellets Ingredients Analysis
http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-ingredients.html
Use the guide on left to search foods by rating or search your food..

I'm also a big fan of making your own food, including straight up fresh veggies.

I'm interested in that...I'm actually vegan, so I always have fresh veggies around. Which ones do you recommend and in what quantity?

I was vegan for a while. It gave me a whole new appreciation for fruits, vegetables, and grains. Missed honey too much, though.

Obviously peas are great. I cook five or so in the microwave for 30 seconds and then squeeze them through a garlic press. The snails go crazy for zucchini. The guppies love apples.

I have also fed carrots, bananas, spinach, garlic.... Others, I'm sure, that are slipping my mind. My fish never cared for cucumbers, but other people have success.

Don't do onions or peppers.

I give them a small slice and let them go at it for a few hours. Remove anything left over. That's the best way to figure out how much they should eat, I think.

Back
Top Bottom