Best ich and finrot treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just starting a new fish tank, since ich and finrot seem to be fairly common, I am trying to be prepared.
I live kinda out in the boonies, and dont get out to the lfs very often. So I was thinking of buying the treatment when I buy the fish to have in on hand when I need it. What products are best that I can get at petsmart?

Water changes and excellent conditions will prevent fin rot. Ich can be treated with salt and higher temperatures.

Ich can be treated with ich attack, but the salt and heat method works better. That's aquarium salt though.
Finrot can be prevented by just having clean water, but melafix and aquarium salt work best to treat it.

Ive been using tetra fin rot and fungus treatment, there's no difference

fishman1234 said:
My neons have fin rot, but Ive heard cories don't like it?

Cories don't like salt. If you have them, either remove them from the tank during treatment, or only treat with melafix.

scaleless fish can be sensitive to salt, I don't know the exact tolerances, but they can survive a salt treatment if it's not too extreme. Salt is the tried and true method against both ICH and fin rot/nips.

I am planning to have corys, but don't have another aquarium to hold them. I plan on doing 15% wc each week. Good enough to prevent rot?

Ellenquacker72 said:
I am planning to have corys, but don't have another aquarium to hold them. I plan on doing 15% wc each week. Good enough to prevent rot?

Most people do a 50% each week. Just as long as you cycle your tank fishless, you'll pretty much be ok.

There are safe methods of fish-in cycling also. And fishless cycling doesn't prevent fin rot or ich.

I do agree that you should do more than 15% each week, try for 40-50%, but your nitrate level should really determine the frequency and amount of water changes you should do.

So I hear mela fix and pima fix work well if the salt doesn't work. What's the difference in aquarium salt and table salt?

One is iodized and one isn't. I've read that the concentration of iodide is negligible, but to be safe just get a big box of Kosher salt, its the same thing as aquarium salt and way cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom