Best media for Fuval 406 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fltekdiver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 3-4 month old 40 gallon breeder FW tank set up. I have a community tank, NO PLANTS, with about 8 fish In it, 2 mollies, 2 dwarf gourami , and 4 red tetras

My Filtration is. Fuval 406 with sponges as the first media,Fluval Biomax Bio Rings in the 2nd basket, activated carbon, then zeolite carbon, and a polishing pad at the top.

It flows bottom to top. They have a course sponge on the sides, then I have a finer sponge at the first bottom basket

I also have a algae media in on the brackets towards the top to help with algae build up.

I'm reading to use activated carbon but then I read don't use it. Same with the zeolite carbon

Thanks for your help

Personally I never use carbon, it just poses a big threat to your tank. If the carbon get's old it can harm the tank and if the bag get's old it can tear and mess up the filter and spit the carbon all over the tank.

It's all up to what you think but personally I say No, don't use it.

Ok Thank you. I'm only 3 months into the hobby, and have no idea what to put in the media trays for the Fuval 406

I bought the Carbon, and Zeolite Carbon, cause it came with the 406, so I kept buying it

Any suggestions for the 2 trays the carbon are in then in the middle?

Ok Thank you. I'm only 3 months into the hobby, and have no idea what to put in the media trays for the Fuval 406

I bought the Carbon, and Zeolite Carbon, cause it came with the 406, so I kept buying it

Any suggestions for the 2 trays the carbon are in then in the middle?

I'm getting ready to put some Seachem Matrix in mine. I've heard good things about it.

This ? :

Amazon.com: Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter: Pet Supplies

Sounds like good stuff, I'd like to know my options , thanks for pointing it out

Do you have plants ? I don't have any plants ( live ) , or does it matter

Yes that's it. Yes I have plants. Don't think it matters. Most folks only use carbon for removing medications, etc. from the water. I already use the ceramic rings and Purigen. I'm adding the Matrix after the rings and before the Purigen. So mine will be sponge, rings, matrix, purigen.

Ok, Let me look up Purigen

I been reading allot, and see the carbon is not very popular

I'll be removing it next water change

I use purigen in my filter and dose my plants with flourish excel. Will purigen soak up the fertilizer?

From my understanding, purigen only soaks up biological wastes. So I don't think it affects excel.

I removed all the carbon and zeolite bags last night from the filter

I bought 1liter which treats upto 100 gallon tank, but my tank is only a 40G

It's not going to hurt anything having 1liter of Seachem Matrix in the filter right?

So my Fuval 406 is stacked , water comes in from bottom, goes out to tank through top

Pre-filter spong on sides course
Fine prefilter on bottom
I basket of Fuval Bio rings
2 baskets of Seachem Matrix
and a Polisher ontop of the 2nd tray at top of Seachem Matrix

Sound right?

Back
Top Bottom