Best order to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlee13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! Soon I will be starting my very first aquarium and I'm near the end of the planning stage (I'm also trying to find a decent stand), I'm just doing a little more research on cycling before I start and I have a few questions.

Firstly, once your tank is fully cycled by using the 'fishless cycle method' can you add more than 3 fish at a time? Or is that for fish in cycling only? Because if you can add more than 3 I was planning on adding one type at a time then waiting at least a few days between each.

Also is there a specific order you should add your fish once it's cycled? After doing lots of research and planning my stocking amounts with the help of aqadvisor, I've decided on getting 1 male Betta, 6 peppered cory and 10 cardinal tetra. Now from what I've read each has their own preferred dwelling area so since cory's are bottom dwellers would it be best to add them first then the tetras and finish with the betta?

My tank is a 23G Blue Planet tank if that helps.

Last edited:
You can add them in groups, the 3 at a time is for fish-in cycle. The order you have for adding them sounds good, but that betta is going to be be 50/50 if hes going to like the other fish. Be prepared to move the betta

You can add them in groups, the 3 at a time is for fish-in cycle. The order you have for adding them sounds good, but that betta is going to be be 50/50 if hes going to like the other fish. Be prepared to move the betta

Thanks for the help ^^ ok hopefully he will be more relaxed then, I've read their personalities vary quite a lot. I may have to get one of those little Betta tanks since I don't have a second aquarium.

- You can add as many as you want IMMEDIATELY after a fish in cycle. If you add in some, than wait a few weeks, then add in like 10 more, it will spike ammonia. So add as many as possible first, then add others slowly (like 3 at a time).
- I would do tetras first, but it doesn't matter. You could add the tetras and the corys if you wanted.

Just adding a quick note here; if you want to get a little betta tank then i'd go for at least a 10 gallon so you can use it as a quarantine tank too. This will be beneficial to you in the future so I strongly advise you to do this.

Good Luck!

- You can add as many as you want IMMEDIATELY after a fish in cycle. If you add in some, than wait a few weeks, then add in like 10 more, it will spike ammonia. So add as many as possible first, then add others slowly (like 3 at a time).
- I would do tetras first, but it doesn't matter. You could add the tetras and the corys if you wanted.

Ok so it would be safest to add all my Tetras and Cory's at once, then a few days later add my Betta?

Just adding a quick note here; if you want to get a little betta tank then i'd go for at least a 10 gallon so you can use it as a quarantine tank too. This will be beneficial to you in the future so I strongly advise you to do this.

Good Luck!

Thanks I will keep that in mind, unfortunately all pet fish related goods are really expensive where I live. Just for a plain 15 falling tank it costs $80 =\ I'm hoping I manage to pick a peacefully Betta and since I will be adding him last I'm hoping that helps too.

Welcome to AA
How big is your tank, here is my suggestion
Add five cardinals, then wait a week and add three Cory cats, then a week and get your betta, then a week and get the rest of your tetras, and Then a week and get your cories, I know it is a slow process, but that way they will survive without throwing off your your ammonia levels, I have only added like 7 fish in my 29 gallon in a month!
Also, I would substitute your betta for a dwarf gourami, more colorful, more active, a lot more personality, and the best, less agressive, just a suggestion though!

I have the same stock as you only a 10 gallon. I did an accidental fish in cycle but I added cories first then tetras then my betta last. He flared a bit at the largest Cory but settled down very quickly. I love having him in there he really lights up the tank it just wouldn't be the same without him.

If you do a Fish-less cycle properly, then you should have enough BB to handle adding all the fish at once.
When done the right way, then you end up with enough BB to process 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Its unlikely that the fish you listed will produce more than 4ppm ammonia in a 24 hour period. Keep in mind that this can take 4+ weeks, depending on a number of factors. So thats say, a month, with no fish in the tank.

That said, its better to let less aggressive fish get situated first. So maybe add your corys first, then wait a week and add the tetras, and then another week to add the betta.

Welcome to AA
How big is your tank, here is my suggestion
Add five cardinals, then wait a week and add three Cory cats, then a week and get your betta, then a week and get the rest of your tetras, and Then a week and get your cories, I know it is a slow process, but that way they will survive without throwing off your your ammonia levels, I have only added like 7 fish in my 29 gallon in a month!
Also, I would substitute your betta for a dwarf gourami, more colorful, more active, a lot more personality, and the best, less agressive, just a suggestion though!

Thanks!y tank is about 23 gallons, measuring 58w x 49.5d x 32cm h (strange dimensions which has made finding a stand even harder lol. That actually sounds good to me adding that many at a time, I'm in no rush to fully stock my tank so I will definitely use that method, thanks for the suggestion. I will go for the betta though since I really like them!

I have the same stock with you only a 10 gallon. I did an accidental fish in cycle but I added cories first then tetras then my betta last. He flared a bit at the largest Cory but settled down very quickly. I love having him in there he really lights up the tank it just wouldn't be the same without him.

That's good your fish survived it! Yeah I've been going to many LFS and they always stand out to me. I don't think I should have a problem since I've read the tetras can easily outswim the betta and since the Cory's are bottom dwellers and I'm getting a school of them, my betta hopefully won't want to challenge them!

Ok, it's good to get the betta, you could add something like 8 ghost shrimp to make the tank more interesting

Ok, it's good to get the betta, you could add something like 8 ghost shrimp to make the tank more interesting

Would the shrimp have conflict with the Cory's? I was actually thinking of getting a few shrimp or a snail to eat algae!

If you do a Fish-less cycle properly, then you should have enough BB to handle adding all the fish at once.
When done the right way, then you end up with enough BB to process 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Its unlikely that the fish you listed will produce more than 4ppm ammonia in a 24 hour period. Keep in mind that this can take 4+ weeks, depending on a number of factors. So thats say, a month, with no fish in the tank.

That said, its better to let less aggressive fish get situated first. So maybe add your corys first, then wait a week and add the tetras, and then another week to add the betta.

Thanks for the advice! When it comes to cycling the tank, is it ok to add decorations and silk plants once the tank is cycled, Or should I make sure to add them first? I've read they don't have any effect on the water so it should be ok right?

Would the shrimp have conflict with the Cory's? I was actually thinking of getting a few shrimp or a snail to eat algae!

you can do both if you want. i have 4 corys with 6 snails and 4 shrimp. i don't think then even know they exist. you will have no issues with that

+1 to Spiketooth about the shrimp and snails. Corys are famous for how non-aggressive they are and their ability to co-exist with just about anything.
Also, you're right about the decorations. Add them whenever you like.

Back
Top Bottom