Best size to start with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplicitysarah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't had fish in years, but is going to get back into it! But i can't decide where to start!! I got a good deal on a 10gal w/ stand.. but also have a 20... but i want to work my way to a 55.. should i work my way up to the 55gal?

Welcome to the forum. Bigger the better, I say. Maintenance on larger tanks can be more daunting but if you have the proper equipment, like a python/aqueon/lees water changer especially, it becomes really easy. The nice thing about more water volume is it gives you more options for stocking, plus it is easier to maintain water quality both during the cycle (if you do a fish-in cycle) and with regular maintenance.

I haven't had fish in years, but is going to get back into it! But i can't decide where to start!! I got a good deal on a 10gal w/ stand.. but also have a 20... but i want to work my way to a 55.. should i work my way up to the 55gal?
Truthfully if you want the 55 and are going to wrk your way up to it anyway... start with it. it gets very expensive to keep upgrading (from experience;)).
Also like jeta said it give you a failsafe... if something goes wrong it goes wrong FAST in a smaller tank. Are you looking at planted as well? What type of substrate.

One thing to consider is do you want do you want in the tank besides the fish. If you are going to want live plants in a few months, start off with the lighting NOW so you dont have to get to light fixtures. If you do the 10 gallon to start tho... you can try sand or something like that which will give you a chance to see if you like it first.

Have to agree with what's been said, go for the 55gal ... although if your already looking at a 55gal ... consider a 75gal (if its within your budget$$). Gives you an additional 6in of depth and the 20 additional gallons gives you a little more breathing room if you miss a PWC or maintenance.

Smaller tanks ... though cheaper in start up costs ... require much more upkeep and limits your stocking.

Petco's dollar per gallon is speculated to be next month. You could score a 55 for $55 if you can be patient. Maybe you can start the 10\20g and eventually convert it to a hospital\quarantine tank and move the critters over after the 55 cycles (which should be quicker since you'll have established bacterial colonies to use).

thanks for the advice!!! the petco sale will def help me get my 55!!! thanks so much!!!

Truthfully if you want the 55 and are going to wrk your way up to it anyway... start with it. it gets very expensive to keep upgrading (from experience;)).
Also like jeta said it give you a failsafe... if something goes wrong it goes wrong FAST in a smaller tank. Are you looking at planted as well? What type of substrate.

One thing to consider is do you want do you want in the tank besides the fish. If you are going to want live plants in a few months, start off with the lighting NOW so you dont have to get to light fixtures. If you do the 10 gallon to start tho... you can try sand or something like that which will give you a chance to see if you like it first.

i do want to do plants!!.. do you know a thread that i can read up about lighting .. b/c im not sure what you mean ;)

IMO, if you have the room for a 55 then go with a 75. It is the same length and height but you will really appreciate the extra five inches of width.

• The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums (Second Edition)
  • David E. Boruchowitz
just bought this book!!! excited to read!!! i decided to get 55gal!! gonna hope to get w petco sale

whats ur personal fav substrate if you want plants with low lighting?

Back
Top Bottom