Beta setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadpole1567

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wondering what would be the best setup for a beta and possibly a couple other small fish. Which fish if any would be compatible with a male beta. Filration system and size tank. As well as possible live plants and what substrate to use. TIA for any tips/ ideas. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's possible no other fish will be ok depending on the temperament of the betta. I hear often that african dwarf frogs might be ok and are the best bet but bettas like to be alone.

That being said I see them in 10 gallon community tanks a lot at the fish stores, with other small fish that don't nip fins and don't look at all like a betta (no guppies, barbs, angels, etc).

I wouldn't go smaller than 10 if it isn't alone. 5 if it's alone. I have mine in a 3 and he does well but I'm aggressive about water quality and I've lost a few. I'm confident he's ok yet I hesitate to recommend the 3 unless you're experienced, do a ton of testing, and have learned a lot about the nitrogen cycle, pH, KH, GH, and tds.

The whisper internal filters are great for a betta because they have a very gentle flow.

The mini bow tanks are awful because the filter is too strong, it's too hard to get a heater in there, and it's difficult to get the lid on and off for water changes. Also the filter blocks the light.

I really like the Marineland/tetra led kits in 3 and 5 gallons, with a heater that had a thermostat.

Okay i was thinking a good planted ten gallon would probably be alright. Even its just him in there. If i did have other fish id only want one or two. Most betas i see at our lfs arent very healthy looking so when i get a tank and have the fishless cycle done ill probably order one. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom