Betta and Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this possible? I searched on the internet and got some mixed answers.
:thanks:

I have many bettas, male and female, and have mixed both with other fish, sometime successfully and sometimes not. It just depends on the temperament of the betta, and the other fish. You just have to watch them to see if the accept each other or not. Some bettas just will not tolerate other fish. And some bettas thrive with the company. They are such curious fish and get very bored (or so it seems lol) in a tank by themselves. I have a male in a tank with tetras and the tetras sometimes pick on the betta, but most days they get along just fine. I also have had several sorority tanks of females, some love company and some don't, it's just trial and error. Good luck to you :)

I agree. I would also suggest putting tetras in first so the Betta doesn;t have a territory already established.

Right now the betta has been in a sick fish container floating in the tank because its fins were destroyed by other fish in a different tank. The neons have been in the tank for a few months. Does this mean the betta hasn't claimed any territory yet because it hasn't swam freely in the tank? The betta is a Crowntail.

Yep I'm going to guess that he hasn't been able to claim any territory yet :)

Does that mean it should be safe to let the betta out? What if the neons nip the fins?

Is it safe for the betta to be let out into the tank then?

Mmm... If his fins have already been nipped recently, I wouldn't risk it. What's his temperament? My Betta killed his 5 Glowlight Tetras and he picked on my Mystery Snail. It's all dependent on what his attitude is.

Neons are notorious fin nippers. I wouldnt suggest it. I've seen people that have had success, and had failures, so I understand where you are getting mixed reviews. It's hard to say for sure, but seeing as how he's already had his fins nipped, I would doubt that he'd be aggressive enough to fend of the neons if they go for his fins.

Not sure about temperment but in his old tank he was fighting a bit with an angelfish. Than all the fish nipped his fins and he was moved into my 10g.

Betta buddies -- Yes and No

I had one male Betta totally stripped of his fins by zebra's--he was moved and the fins grew back.

That male went on to live peacefully with neons, rasboras, snails, shrimp and cories. I have had several other makes that also did well in a community.

On the other hand, right now I have one half grown Betta (most likely a male), that went into full-on predator mode and tried to kill a ghost shrimp within seconds of the shrimp, (which was as big as him!), going into his Evolve4. I removed the shrimp and I will not try him with anything else--other than possibly a snail.

Hmm okay. I guess it is just trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom