Betta build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a 5.5 planted tank for my new female betta. She will have a tetra 2 filter(old style) and powerful light to make up for a heater. I'll cycle with used media. It will be planted with-
Foxtail
Cambomba
Anubais nana
On fluorite substrate, with high watt fluorescents. I will also add a small peice of DW.
How does this sound?

sounds pretty good, but Youll need a dead on Thermometer to watch the temp. I keep my bettas at 75 and they all seem happy. 75-80 is really good but since your using a light, youll have to watch the temp very close, also at night it will drop when you turn the light off. I would really get a heater. I use a preset Marineland one in my 5g betta set up. it was pretty cheap too and was short enough to fit on the back panel.

I agree with Kevin except I would never get a preset heater. If you ever need to turn the heat up if your Betta is I'll you can't.

The room where the betta will be kept is quite warm
If I see the need for a heater, I'll get one.

Not sure what your winters are like where you are. Mine doesn't need a heater in the summer but does need it in the winter months to keep it above 75.

Tank running with cycled media, betta enjoying it but not quite sure about all the space

Bettafanatic said:
Sounds like a nice tank! Pictures?

It's so cloudy you cant see the back of the tank lol didn't rinse the gravel very well
I have a layer of fluorite then on top river rocks

Oh sounds lovely def post some pics when it clears up, my male plakat bettas 5g chi is still a work in progress so would love to see what yours :)

Trying to decide what plants to use, these are the ones I like(I have flourite capped with river rocks and 14 watts of flourescent 6500K light)
HC
Rotala Indica
Rotala Nanjenshan
Ludwigia Peruensis
Dwarf Hairgrass
Cardinal Plant
Cambomba
Myrio Red
Anubias Nana
Micro Sword
Marimo Moss Balls
Any suggestions?
For my inverts, I'm thinking of adding-
10 RCS
1 Zebra Nerite Snail
10 Bee Shrimp
1 Amano Shrimp
I have to test my betta first, dont want any expensive snacks!

Alright, I've added my mystery snail and was wondering if I could grab another mild mannered female? The tank is waaayyy overfiltered but I can adjust the flow. I'd love to have two little bettas! My current female didn't mind my guppies, even the males, so I doubt she'd mess with a female of a different color.

You could try it. For betta sororities it's best to have at least three to minimize the bullying. As long as none of them is too aggressive it shouldn't be a problem.

Bettafanatic said:
You could try it. For betta sororities it's best to have at least three to minimize the bullying. As long as none of them is too aggressive it shouldn't be a problem.

Would three be too much in a heavily filtered five with lots of plantings and territories marked off by hardscape(I'll send a tank design in a second)? I'd love to have more bettas, I have MHMB, must have more bettas

emerald76 said:
Would three be too much in a heavily filtered five with lots of plantings and territories marked off by hardscape(I'll send a tank design in a second)? I'd love to have more bettas, I have MHMB, must have more bettas

Personally I think your tank is too small. I had 3 females in a 10g with lots of plants & cave structures & that seemed to push a little. I now have a 46g with 6 females & 2 more waiting in QT to be added in the next week or so. This will bring my sorority up to 8 in the 46g. One of my females is definitely the dominate one & chases the others I don't think a 5g would be big enough for them to escape.

Hmm, alright I'll hold off until I can switch them to a larger tank. Would a school of six Pygmy cories be alright? I found a place online where they are 6 for $18 or something like that. Or a school of ember tetras?

Hmm, alright I'll hold off until I can switch them to a larger tank. Would a school of six Pygmy cories be alright? I found a place online where they are 6 for $18 or something like that. Or a school of ember tetras?

Definitely not. Bettas get very stressed if there are too many schools. In a 5 gallon, even one school is too much. If you want your betta to be stressed and hide all the time, go ahead. But you're a good person so I doubt you'd want that.

If you want tankmates, you can try out some shrimp. Some bettas are better with shrimp than others. Amano shrimp or ghost shrimp would be good options, and if you have one if those very peaceful bettas you can have some different kinds as well. But remember that it's a gamble.

Okay I'll definitely try shrimp! Going to the LFS in a few days.

Sounds great. Remember not to get anyone too expensive in case your betta is one of those bettas that won't allow any other living creatures in their territory.

Bettafanatic said:
Sounds great. Remember not to get anyone too expensive in case your betta is one of those bettas that won't allow any other living creatures in their territory.

Ghosts then until I can be sure
She accepted a very large mystery snail for a while then I put him in the other tank because the five is too small

Back
Top Bottom