Betta Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaMonkey243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I'm new here and I've just gotten a 10 gallon fish tank. And I've never had an aquarium before so I wanted to start a bit smallish. And my plan so far is to get one betta, 6 harlequin rasboras, and one "mystery" snail. Of course I plan on introducing the rasboras first so the betta won't be so territorial and attack them in case they came in second. But I'm wondering if the space will be ok for all of them since I don't believe that the rasboras will get too big. And if they truly are a better match with my betta compared to anyother schooling fish also any tips you guys may have for someone as new as me would be amazing. Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see that you're planning ahead. I've never had bettas and rasboras in the same tank before and I think it will be fine, but you may be at the limit for stocking with what you planned to have, so just keep that in mind (as you may not be able to add anything else if you wanted to in the future). Snails are very messy and harlequins should be in large groups with the minimum being 5-6, so they may be more skittish if they don't feel safe. Also, harlequins get 1.5 inches. Lambchop rasboras look very similar to harlequins and only get 1 inch max, and for a 10g I think that would be a better way to go as you could possibly have more.

Introducing the rasboras first is the safest way to go, imo. But, every betta is different so even if you introduce the rasboras first, the betta might still go after them, so have a plan of what you will do with the fish if they aren't compatible.

Is your tank cycled?

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see that you're planning ahead. I've never had bettas and rasboras in the same tank before and I think it will be fine, but you may be at the limit for stocking with what you planned to have, so just keep that in mind (as you may not be able to add anything else if you wanted to in the future). Snails are very messy and harlequins should be in large groups with the minimum being 5-6, so they may be more skittish if they don't feel safe. Also, harlequins get 1.5 inches. Lambchop rasboras look very similar to harlequins and only get 1 inch max, and for a 10g I think that would be a better way to go as you could possibly have more.

Introducing the rasboras first is the safest way to go, imo. But, every betta is different so even if you introduce the rasboras first, the betta might still go after them, so have a plan of what you will do with the fish if they aren't compatible.

Is your tank cycled?

Thank you so much for responding and yeah I see what you mean, the snails are low maintenance from what I've heard and can mostly feed off of what the fish let slide down, and I can take a clip and put lettuce in there and let him chow down on that for a bit but not leave it in there for a long period of time. I'll definitely have to do some more research though on the lambchop rasboras, I've never heard of them before, I'm just mostly worried about the size of the fish, the color so it isn't too colorful to influence aggression from the betta, and if it's a tail nipper. We have a second tank that's 10 g so if they don't get along I'll put in a divider and start preparing that tank and put either one of them in there just in case. And no not yet, we're completely redoing my room and so I'm not setting up the tank until after it's been painted, and I'll have to start cycling it right away Bc I'll be getting the fish after I've put together my new furniture and such.

Lambchops are basically the 'mini me' of Harlequins as they are both rasboras so their requirements are pretty much the same (I have some myself and they are very pretty). They are just smaller and have black streaks that are lambchop-shaped. They are quick little fish, so they shouldn't be injured by the betta, but he can chase them around all the time which will stress them out. Just reminding you to be cautious because it isn't unknown for bettas to be the beautiful bullies that they sometimes can be. Even though the snail is slow and somewhat 'vulnerable' to attacks, the betta shouldn't bother it. Plus it's kind of like a little ball of armour sliding around so I think it'll be alright.

Cycling the tank beforehand would probably be the best thing you can do for your fish and I just wanted to make sure you knew about it. Also, if you don't already have one, I suggest getting a water test kit. Don't get strips as they are inaccurate. Most aquarists have the API freshwater master test kit and it is the best everyday water test kit out there, imo. You'll need to track your progress of the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and ph levels throughout the cycling process, and then weekly from there on out to ensure optimum water quality for your fish.

I have four harlequin in a 20g with a large snail and a beta! They are fine together. I wouldn't put more then 6 in my 20g so I would prob start with 4 to be on the safe side. Mine school happily and scatter when taco (beta) tries to swim with them. Taco also nips at the snails antennae thing and charges him to scare him in his shell but I never see him bumping or nipping anyone else in the tank. They also have three cories with them as well. Now taco does stalk everyone and gives chase sometimes but that is about it. I would recommend one of the Betta logs or leafs for your Betta. I know taco likes to hide in his log and made a bubble nest in his. Best of luck to you!!

I have four harlequin in a 20g with a large snail and a beta! They are fine together. I wouldn't put more then 6 in my 20g so I would prob start with 4 to be on the safe side. Mine school happily and scatter when taco (beta) tries to swim with them. Taco also nips at the snails antennae thing and charges him to scare him in his shell but I never see him bumping or nipping anyone else in the tank. They also have three cories with them as well. Now taco does stalk everyone and gives chase sometimes but that is about it. I would recommend one of the Betta logs or leafs for your Betta. I know taco likes to hide in his log and made a bubble nest in his. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you so much for that, so then yeah I'll plan on buying a lot of decor and plants for my betta to hide into or the other fish to hide (or as much as I can manage without over crowding the tank). Haha also I love the bettas name XD

In our 10 we have a betta and some frogs. The betta is pretty happy with a big handful of floating pennywort up top (which also keeps the tank really clean).

I've asked the LFS here who always keeps bettas in community tanks and they say about 75% of bettas are fine in a community - they are apt to pick a fight but not finish it. So peaceful schoolers are good. Small rasborAs seems like a smart choice.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Hello, welcome
I have experience with three betta tanks and I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't recommend the rasboras. The outlines of finding a fighting fish tank mate ( for me ) are to make sure they don't have too much colour, that there faster than the betta, that they don't move in a flighty motion. Unfortunately the rasboras don't follow those guidelines then again it depends on the fish. One of my fighting fish ate his tetra friends but another loves them and pays no attention to them. I will recommend any type of sucker fish, snails.

Hello, welcome
I have experience with three betta tanks and I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't recommend the rasboras. The outlines of finding a fighting fish tank mate ( for me ) are to make sure they don't have too much colour, that there faster than the betta, that they don't move in a flighty motion. Unfortunately the rasboras don't follow those guidelines then again it depends on the fish. One of my fighting fish ate his tetra friends but another loves them and pays no attention to them. I will recommend any type of sucker fish, snails.

Thank you so much for all of your responses and sharing your personal story. Currently I'm still on the boarder line of starting a betta sorority or possibly postponing my experience with bettas for a later time and doing a tank of 3 platys and 3 Molly's. Once again I only have a 10 g tank and I'm just looking for what would be best for my future fish. I'll keep you guys posted and share pictures when I've finally introduced whatever fish into my aquarium

A beta sorority would be stunning and lots of personality would be shown !!! I love my two females they follow me everywhere they can haha. As long as you get the right background information to begin it properly I would recommend it highly haha it would be a tank of joy

A beta sorority would be stunning and lots of personality would be shown !!! I love my two females they follow me everywhere they can haha. As long as you get the right background information to begin it properly I would recommend it highly haha it would be a tank of joy

I really want to start one but I'm a bit nervous Bc my tank size is only 10g. And I've heard a lot of people say that's enough to house 6 female bettas and I've heard others say the tank isn't big enough for a sorority. I just want to find the best solution so I won't create more stress than needed

A 10g is way too small for mollies. They can reach 4 inches.
Another note, sororities are hard. They often fail. Some female bettas are too dominant to do well in a sorority, and some are too submissive. I would not try this endeavor unless you have a backup plan for housing females that cannot get along in the sorority.
Honestly, I think your original idea of a single betta with some small tankmates sounds fine. I have done this many times and really never had a problem. Do keep in mind there is the occasional betta that is too aggressive for this, but it is not at the norm in my opinion. Neons can also work in a 10g IME, and stay a bit smaller than the harlies. One note though, many bettas will nip at a mystery snail's optical stalks incessantly. I prefer nerite snails with bettas. They are smaller, way less messy, and keep mostly in their shell so the bettas really cant damage them.

A 10g is way too small for mollies. They can reach 4 inches.
Another note, sororities are hard. They often fail. Some female bettas are too dominant to do well in a sorority, and some are too submissive. I would not try this endeavor unless you have a backup plan for housing females that cannot get along in the sorority.
Honestly, I think your original idea of a single betta with some small tankmates sounds fine. I have done this many times and really never had a problem. Do keep in mind there is the occasional betta that is too aggressive for this, but it is not at the norm in my opinion. Neons can also work in a 10g IME, and stay a bit smaller than the harlies. One note though, many bettas will nip at a mystery snail's optical stalks incessantly. I prefer nerite snails with bettas. They are smaller, way less messy, and keep mostly in their shell so the bettas really cant damage them.

Thank you, now I just needa figure which small school of fish to keep with it. Maybe neon tetras I suppose cause that's what I keep hearing about. My only question would be about the nerite snail and if I need to do any special care for them or such like that. But thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom