Betta or Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've gone back and forth what seems like a thousand times about what type of fish to put in my Marineland Eclipse 5 gallon corner tank.

Based on what's available locally it seems to come down to either Guppies (probably 2, maybe 3) or a Betta.

I really like the looks of Cherry Shrimp (even though I would have to order them), so I would sort of like to have them in the bottom of the tank. Ghost Shrimp are available locally but I think I like the looks of the Cherry Shrimp better.

I'm not sure if Guppies or a Betta lend theirself better to having Cherry Shrimp in the tank? Really want to make sure I have something in there to clean up the tank for me
icon_smile.gif

1 concern with the CS is that I've read they multiply very quickly and I'm not sure what I would do with all the youngins.

At one time I thought about an African Dwarf Frog but I think they require special food and wouldn't do anything to keep the tank clean.

1 concern I would have if I got the Betta is the quickness with which the water moves in my tank. I'm not sure if it would be too strong of a current for a Betta or not? *See some info on my tank below

Another concern would be if I got the betta and cherry shrimp, what would the shrimp eat? I think betta eat specific food...not the flakes.

1 concern I would have if I got the guppies is that they would nip each others tails (which I believe happened when I had guppies growing up)?

Any advice on which direction I should go?

Thanks for your help and patience!!!

TripleB67

* The super-efficient Corner 5 provides the best in mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration--aerating and filtering the water. Water is pumped silently through the Eclipse Rite-Size Filter Cartridge (packed with fast-acting Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon) and over the BIO-Wheel, where beneficial bacteria work to remove more toxic ammonia and nitrite with every turn.

If you want the shrimp then get the guppies. The beta will eat the shrimp and their babies. :D the shrimp will eat just about anything... Algea wafers would be a good food

A 5 gallon would be a good size for a lone betta, and they are nice to look at as corner tank pets. If you're worried about the current, you can always baffle the filter to prevent oversplashing or water current, as I had to do with my two 4-gallon betta tank filters. It's easily done with either a cut piece of a waterbottle or even just the end of a leg of pantyhose over the output.
Good luck!

I also vote betta, however I will add that I have seen quite a few of my Bettas chomp down on fairly large ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom