Betta or Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NylonFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new fish owner and I'm going to my LFS so I'm deciding whether to get a betta or 3-4 platies for my 10 gallon tank. Please give me reasons why to choose that fish. I was told I needed to rehome my 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank,so I'm sending them back sometime next week.

:)

Hello,

Betta = need to be alone for males or will fight.
Platy= if bred, they will give birth to live, better check the gender, if no female it might fight.

Idk what to pick lol:
Betta have beautiful colour that we all can see.
Platy can give birth.. how amazing!

Gilbert

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello,

Betta = need to be alone for males or will fight.
Platy= if bred, they will give birth to live, better check the gender, if no female it might fight.

Idk what to pick lol:
Betta have beautiful colour that we all can see.
Platy can give birth.. how amazing!

Gilbert

It's a very hard decision

:)

I think u should choose platies, as they give birth and they tend not to fight with each other (if theres females)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well platys aka give off a lot of waste for their size as the same with your goldfish. Platys also give birth an can overwhelm your tank, much like guppies could. Now you could go with all male, but then you would see the Same aggression.

Now on a betta, they are aggressive in some cases. So are the complete opposite an are very timid. Which a betta you could do a school of 5 or 6 nano tetras (I would add these first, limits the aggression on the betta as he can't claim the whole tank) I would also add a lot of hiding places such as plants, or fake. What eve suits your boat.

I think u should choose platies, as they give birth and they tend not to fight with each other (if theres females)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Platies don't fight whether theres females or not...

At least IME

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Platies don't fight whether theres females or not...

At least IME

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

They tend to fight sometimes IMO, so i might pick all females though

Gilbert

If your budget allows, I'd get both. Watch for aggression from the betta - most pet store types are friendly to other fish though, just not their own kind.

Betta will also help keep platy population down - platys can be difficult to sex in a fish store situation.

I would choose Bettas.Mostly because they produce much less waste than platies therefore a cleaner an easily maintained tank. Bettas also can have an interesting personality and can be a fun pet overall.
But then again, it's entirely up to you to make the decision between platies and Bettas.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd try a very nice betta. Just feels a little small imo for platies.

I'd also get a short fin betta so there wouldn't be so much of a concern with potential fin rot.

Platies are reproductive machines. You would have to get all males to have no risk of having babies, as females you buy at the store are often already in various stages of pregnancy (or being gravid, as it is properly called). Babies will over-run your tank and cause problems. Don't try to breed in this size tank.

3-4 males should be ok.

A single male Betta with a few ghost shrimp would be best.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Can I keep a betta with Angels and recently a beunos aires tetra attacked my male betta . Is it a threat?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is ripping its fins then infection could set in and it could die.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

What's with the thread hijack?

Anyways, in a 10G, I would get tetras and a betta. I've had good experience with cardinals and rummy noses in my 10G, then added a platinum betta. Very beautiful to watch.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom