Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so I got a betta and when I feed him these Wardley Advanced betta food, he will come up, eat them, spit them back out, over and over. they kinda look like minature hot dogs. My question is, are they too big for him and if I was to soak them in water first would it make them easier to eat? Thanks!

they are probably too big for him. Bettas have small mouths and throats. Try soaking it in a little bit of tank water then mushing it with your finger befor giving it to him.

Ok thanks! Cause he will eat like 2 or 3 of them and then spit them out, so they must be too small for his throat. I will soak them from now on cause he doesn't seem to like the flakes I got for him. He likes his "mini hotdogs" LOL! He is SO funny!

I just think this is common for bettas. My bettas had small food, and they would still do the same. They spit it back out, and then eat it again.

Ok thanks! I just didn't want a bunch of leftover food sinking to the bottom! What size tanks do you guys have yours in?

We have:

1 male half moon tail in a 14g hex.

1 yellow round tail male in a 1g. (working on getting him a new home)

1 blue crowntail male and 1 blue crowntail female in a divided 5.5g

1 reddish/orange roundtail male/3 multi-color females/ 1 steel gray crowntail male in a 3 section divided 20L

1 black crowntail in a 10g

Ok, so next step is getting him a bigger tank for sure!!! I am just afraid he will hate it....Should I be doing 100% water changes every day while he is in the 1G? And while changing the water, should I put him in some of the water from the tank in a different bowl?

I think he is fine in the tank he is if you don't want to upgrade. I would just make sure the food is small and if your still conserned 5 min or so before you feed put the food in a small cup of the aquarium water and let it soak. If he leaves uneaten food on the ground of the aquarium then you might want a small clean up crew. Get some ghost shrimp and some corydoras.

Well if he would be more comfortable in a 5 gallon tank then I will get that for him. I am looking online for them right now. I wouldn't really want to put any more fish in a 1G tank lol! I usually just drop on piece of the food in there at a time. He is right next to the computer so I can watch him a lot lol....If he eats that, I give him one more, if he doesn't eat that, I take it out before it sinks.

O, i thought you said he was in a 10g tank. In that case ya he would be more comfortable in any bigger size tank.

5 Gal is great for a Betta. I prefer a 10Gal myself, with a Filter & Heater. You can usually pick up a Tetra Kit for under $50.00 New. Less frequent PWC (About 50% once a week). Add some Live plants and it makes a really nice set-up :)

Ok thank you! I have been looking at tanks, and I think I found a pretty nice 5G Marineland with bio-wheels at PetSmart for a little over $40. I already have the heater.

No, I think he is good by himself lol. He is SO fiesty! (which is the reason I picked him lol). I am going to try and feed him some bloodworms this afternoon and see how he likes them. If not, I will for sure try some of those falkes Aqua! He eats the little pellets, it just takes him a while to get the whole thing. I think he spits them in and out trying to break them apart. He will put like 2-3 in his mouth at a time. And I wish I could get a video of him stalking them. It cracks me up! He pretends like he is not going near them, not looking at them, and then speeds over and eats them lol. Too funny! I am really, really enjoying my fish, which is why I am not getting ANYTHING done in my house lately lol!

Well I already have Wardley Advanced pellets lol....He does not like the flakes I got him. Hope he likes the blood worms, cause that's what I have to buy for Elvis anyway.

When you feed him blood worms only feed him a little bit, make them fully defrosted.

Back
Top Bottom