Betta Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really feel bad because I admit I am one of those small tank beta owners. Would it be ok if I put my beta in my 10 gallon which is cycling right now, because it is a hardier fish and it gives him more room. Would the fish be ok?

If it were me, I would not. I am an advocate of fishless cycling. Bettas may be hardier than some but IMO it still isn't fair to cause them stress unnecessarily.

Ammoinia is just as hard on a betta as any other fish, even though they do have a labyrinth organ to supplement their gills. I bought a betta once with ammonia burns on his gills, and even though I gave him clean water, he always had reddish-brown gill edges.

I would be hesitant to do it, but if it's in a small bowl, moving all the substrate from the old bowl and changing the water daily would probably keep up with the bioload, especially if the Betta will be the only thing in the 10 gallon to start.

Ok my ammonia has dropped to 0 and now the nitrites are up. Would the betta still be harmed?

yes. nitrites are still toxic, just not as bad as ammonia. You should wait until the nitrAtes are up and the nitrItes are down to 0.

Back
Top Bottom