Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a 5 gallon tank for two bettas yesterday and it came with filter and top w/light. I added rocks, decorations and a divider. I was wondering if I need a heater the LFS told me I did not since I will be keeping it in my living room with either heat or AC on.

Bigge_al said:
I purchased a 5 gallon tank for two bettas yesterday and it came with filter and top w/light. I added rocks, decorations and a divider. I was wondering if I need a heater the LFS told me I did not since I will be keeping it in my living room with either heat or AC on.

Yes, a heater is necessary. Bettas like to be kept at a stable 80F.

Would have thought a heater would be the way to go, if only to have better control. Not totally sure, but thats my thought. Someone much more knowledgable than me will be along soon.

hmmm. I've kept a beta in my office for almost a year now without a heater, and he is very content.

hmmm. I've kept a beta in my office for almost a year now without a heater, and he is very content.

Sorry, but I must disagree. A fish may seem content, but it may not be. A betta must have a heater unless the ambient room temperature is like 77* constantly. Just because a fish can survive in less than optimum conditions doesn't mean it should be forced to live in these conditions. A heater and filter are necessities for a betta tank.

jstfinch said:
Sorry, but I must disagree. A fish may seem content, but it may not be. A betta must have a heater unless the ambient room temperature is like 77* constantly. Just because a fish can survive in less than optimum conditions doesn't mean it should be forced to live in these conditions. A heater and filter are necessities for a betta tank.
^^^
Couldn't have said it better myself.

akagochi said:
opinions vary. I do keep a filter on the tank though. :)

Ya my friend has kept a betta that is now huge in a bowl for 3 years. I myself have mine in a 10g with some buddies heater and good filtration.

IMO, it depends a bit on what your room temperature is. My house doesn't get above 70 degrees, so my betta tanks need heaters. My bettas actually love it 84 degrees.

Bigge_al said:

Did you say that you were putting 2 bettas in a 5 gallon tank...?

Yes there are two in a 5 gallon with divider. I have the water level just below the top of the divider. I did discover there is a little bow in the front of the tank last night because one the blue betta slide through to the over side (NOT TO GOOD FOR HIM) he got a little beating before I saw it. He lost a little fin before my wife got him back to his side. I do not think he jumped between the top and the divider but possible. Once Cookie Monster(Blue) puts on some weight he will not be able to get through the gap.

Keep a betta at 72 and then turn the temp up to 80 and you will see a huge difference in personality and activity.

I think a 5 gallon should be used for a single betta and not a divider for two bettas. Can they live in 2.5 gallons? Yeah sure, but if you have a 5 gallon it would just seem to be the responsible thing to just get one betta instead of trying to cram two in there.

Bigge_al said:
Yes there are two in a 5 gallon with divider. I have the water level just below the top of the divider. I did discover there is a little bow in the front of the tank last night because one the blue betta slide through to the over side (NOT TO GOOD FOR HIM) he got a little beating before I saw it. He lost a little fin before my wife got him back to his side. I do not think he jumped between the top and the divider but possible. Once Cookie Monster(Blue) puts on some weight he will not be able to get through the gap.

Perfect reason to not put the two on such small quarters. Please do the responsible thing and buy a separate tank for the other betta or return one. All your going to so is stress them out, especially if they can see each other all the time..

They cannot see each other through the divider. The only reason they got together was the blue betta slipped through a hole between the glass and the divider. I refuse to have one fish in a tank I have always thought that was the biggest waste of space.

Bigge_al said:
They cannot see each other through the divider. The only reason they got together was the blue betta slipped through a hole between the glass and the divider. I refuse to have one fish in a tank I have always thought that was the biggest waste of space.

Your right... Maybe you should get a bigger tank.

I AM NOT GOING TO GET ANOTHER TANK. I ordered the heater today it should be here before the end of the week.

Could you possibly post a pic? All that stuff is in this little tank, with two bettas who are trying to survive in 2.5 gallons each (even less when water is displaced with decor). I personally don't feel it's enough room for them to move comfortably and not rip their fins off.

Back
Top Bottom