Betta tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dautumn99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm looking for some advice for my 10 gall betta tank, currently its just him...so I'm curious to know what the best plant life and substrate are for a betta tank. Im thinking sand and darker plants since they love to hide away. Im hoping to make him as natural of an environment as he can get out of a 10 gall. Thanks in advance! 20201214_235042.jpg

He is absolutely gorgeous!
Really any substrate is fine for a betta. If you really want to go for the natural environment feel- make your tank heavily planted. Little rule of thumb- if you can easily and openly see your betta most of the time- you don't have enough coverage.
Live plants are great but if you decide to go with fake- make sure they are silk. Your boy has beautiful long fins and any decor that is too sharp or rough can catch on his fins and cause damage. A good check is to run a piece of panty hose or tights over/across your decor- if the fabric catches then your boy's fins may too.
Good luck- would love to see pics of your finished tank!

Wow, is he beautiful!

I have live plants for mine, with one exception. There's a silk plant that looks like tall wavy grass, it comes in several colors (shops online sell them). I bought one the same color blue as my little fishstick and he absolutely loves it, as much as he loves his drive-thru log. It's where he spends a lot of time, camouflaging himself among the waving grasses. It's pretty funny when he just hides his face in there and the rest of his body is hanging out, and he thinks he can't be seen.

They're kind of sensual creatures...they seem to like brushing their long fins on different textures, resting on things so their "skirts" trail down off the side. I've actually caught mine hooking a fin on a floating plant and dragging it across the tank so he can have the perfect napping spot secured by wedging himself between the tendrils and resting his body against a rock. He takes an interest in every little change and barely moves aside while my hand is in there. The big blue supervisor of his domain.

What have you done with your tank since your post? New pics?

Back
Top Bottom