Betta tank for niece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello AAA members,

My niece just got a betta for her birthday. Of course, they got a bowl. At least they have a moss ball and a heater for the little guy. They were told the moss ball would take all the "bad things" out of the water and eliminate the need for water changes. Face:palm. I gave them some tips and I think I convinced them to upgrade the tank. What would be a good sized tank to place in a 10 year olds room? Filter should be quiet enough to let her sleep and we need a built in light because the room gets very little natural light. I've only had 10+ gallon tanks and they need a tank that can sit on her desk.

Any help and advice is appreciated. I already tried to sell them on a 75 gallon community tank for their living room - since that is probably what they will lend up with, but they would have none of it. Lol.

Thanks!!

A 10 gallon is a nice size for a Betta plus a small school of something like neon tetras if the Betta will allow. If they want to keep just the Betta a 5 gallon with proper care would be great.

I would do a 5 gallon. It's not too large and not too heavy. Otherwise if she wants more fish a 10g would be a better bet. Basically echoing the sentiments of miller :)

I would go with a hob filter, probably a small aqua clear. They tend to be quieter than the sponge filters that are popular with bettas.

Cool, good thing you can educate them through the process. What kind of betta may I ask? & yes 5g is perfectツ

Good luck to your niece!

Thank you to all three of you. I will pass on your recommendations. I also think a 5 gallon will work well. Aqua clear it is. I got her a book on bettas today. First page mentions all the things that are wrong with a bowl. We will see. I'll keep you posted.

I don't have a picture, buts it's a beautiful green, blue double tail.

Back
Top Bottom