Betta Tank in Classroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankAbagnale

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! I have a question.... My girlfriend wants to have a Betta in her 2nd grade classroom. I thought I could get her the set up for Valentines Day.

My problem is; Is it okay to have a Betta in a small aquarium in the classroom?
Is this inhumane? I see people with a single Betta in a 3-6 gallon bowl with no filter or air pump or really anything. Can this be done in a humane way? What about cycling something like that?

If so, what's a good set up for this? Bowl size, hiding spot?, etc...

If not, please let me know!

Can it be done? Sure. Is it optimum for the fish? Probably not. A 5-10 gal setup with heater and filter isn't too costly and would be better for the betta long-term, particularly since they like the water warm (78-80 F). If you already have an established healthy tank you can just pull a piece of media and stick it into the filter; this should cycle it for a betta (test the water daily just in case though). Plus I think treating the fish well and teaching proper fish care to kids would go a long way in terms of educating them and teaching them to care for living things. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom