Betta_s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al89463

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As the title says, I'm trying to so the riskiest "operation ever", by placing a trio of FEMALE Bettas together since its possible. I plan to put them in a ten gallon and introduce them at the same time.

Before the Bettas, the ten gallon inhabited turtles if that affects anything to the Bettas, I will be doing a 75% water change and rinse my filter in old tank water. Will all of this be okay?!

No, I wouldn't think so. Especially if these are mature betta's. To make a sorority group of betta's, they would need to know each other since they were very young. Though some people might disagree and say i'm false, that's my point of view and verdict. How old are they?

I'm not sure how old tey are since I'm just buying them from the chain stores to rescue them. But what is a sorority group?

Ok so the factors here are the tank size and the number of betta's. Usually, a sorority is a group of female betta's that can live together. So I read in multiple places, that you shouldn't place less then 4 betta's, 6 or more is better. One of the betta will become the ''Alpha'' of the tank, and you will see that. Also, watch out all the time if you attempt this, as there will be some signs of aggression, such as chasing and nipping. They need a lot of hiding space. If one is too aggressive, remove her immidietly. This might work, but it's a risk.
You can google more info about sorority's as I can't answer you specifically.

So I have to get 4 or more Bettas at the same time?!

Will introducing them all at the same time impact my bio load? Also will the Aqueon 10 be too strong for the Bettas?

How many turtles, what type of turtles? Also, i wouldn't think the filter is too powerfull:)

Two and they're red eared sliders, I plan on leaving them in the tank dice I have no other place to put them and my mom loves them.

Two and they're red eared sliders, I plan on leaving them in the tank dice I have no other place to put them and my mom loves them.

The turtles will eat the Bettas if you try and keep them together.

A 10 gallon is a bit small to try a group of female Bettas. They need room to set up their own territories and hide from one another. A 20 gallon is usually the smallest tank recommended for a betta sorority and I've had one crash and burn in a 20. They all killed each other in a matter of days. I have a sorority going on now in my 56 gallon with tons of hiding spots and breaks in line of sight, and I introduced six only to have two kill each other the first two days they were in the tank. I have four now, and there are still occasional scuffles when they run into each other. I want to add more but to do that I will essentially have to take my 4 out, rearrange a little, then release them plus the new ones at the same time and hope things don't go bad again. It's a risky setup even in a larger tank.

I agree, I wouldn't put the turtles & Bettas or fish of any kind together. As for setting up a sorority, its a big risk. I have 10 females in a 46g with lots of plants & hidey holes. So far I've not had any casualties from fighting BUT I do see pretty much daily them chase each other & I see the occasional nipped fin. All of mine have come from local pet stores & the numbers have increased over time. I don't take them all out nor do I re-arrange everything when I add new female . . . is this wrong? In some people's eyes. Can it all go down hill in the blink of an eye . . . absolutely. The same can said for a number of types of fish. Bottom line its a risk.

I agree, a 10 gal is too small to attempt a betta sorority. The smallest I'd try it is in a 30 gal with at least 6 females.

Back
Top Bottom