Bettas and reflections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, this may be crazy, but I've just realized that my new betta can see his reflection in the sides of his ten-gallon (cycled) tank, and that he's patrolling like mad. Is he going to wear himself out? What should I do? Thanks!:fish2:

Dont worry, "Glass surfing" wont hurt your Betta, but it is annoying to watch. My baby RIvulatus, GT did it for at least two weeks, only stopping to eat or when the nite light was turned on. (Dimming lights, as noted above by Angel).
He evidently found better things to do. No more Glass Surfing. Your Betta will likely settle down soon.

I've dealt with this a few times before!

Along with dimming the lights, you can try putting some plants or other decorations near the sides of the tank he seems to patrol the most.

Another thing you can try is putting up a dark/black matte background on the side that is giving the most trouble. This was the only thing that helped me the last time. It was actually on one side of the tank, not the back. But putting the dark background on that side helped a great deal.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom