Bigger tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldstar8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I have upgraded from a 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon tank today. The sales person at the pet store told me it would be easy to cycle the new tank...just take all the water and decor from the old tank and move it into the new tank, fish and all. I really didn't feel like arguing with him so I left it at that. I thought I still needed to cycle the tank even if I use the water from my old tank. Thanks!!!

I thought I still needed to cycle the tank even if I use the water from my old tank. Thanks!!!

It's not the water and decorations that matter, but the bacteria the grows in the filter. What kind of filter do you have in the ten gallon tank? You could run that alongside the filter for the 29g and, after a couple of weeks, the new filter should be seeded. Just don't add any fish beyond those you have in the ten gallon until it's ready.

I'm not sure the brand...it came with the tank...from Top Fin. Seems to work fine...no problems with it at all. It needed to be cleaned so I went ahead and cleaned it in the additional water I've put into the new tank. I thought that would be a good way to move some of the bacteria into the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom