Bio-Chem Zorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urthlvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dealing with high ammonia and green tank. I have Bio-Chem Zorb that has been in the filter for about a week. I know they say to change every 3 months, but I was wondering how much more frequently I should replace it with the current problem.

Thanks!

Why not get to the problem vs using a band aid to fix it?
Find out what's causing your ammonia to be high first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 75 gal freshwater tank. I never had more than about 12 fish, neon tetras, rasboras, bristle nose pleco. Then I started dealing with foggy and eventually green water. So green you can't see through. Then the ammonia went crazy. The last load was 2 tetras. The tank currently has no fish for a little over a week.

To resolve the green and ammonia I have started going to the pet store for water because I wondered if the problem lies in the tap water. I've been doing small water changes, 5-10 gal about twice a week. I've tried Ammo-lock but it still reads off the chart ammonia.

With no fish and no plant matter, what could be causing the ammonia? If it is the tap, I've started changing that out.

Dealing with high ammonia and green tank. I have Bio-Chem Zorb that has been in the filter for about a week. I know they say to change every 3 months, but I was wondering how much more frequently I should replace it with the current problem.

Thanks!

If this is the bag of absorption material then you should refresh it every week while dealing with high ammonia/nitrates. You need to wash the bag and then place in a container with aquarium salt - a couple of tablespoons - and some warm water. Allow to sit for at least 4 hours then wash and reinsert in tank.

As pp implied it's better to reduce the problem by regular water changes. And keep testing your water so you can see what's having the best effect. I keep a journal of what I do so I can learn what change I makes has what effect. Hope that helps.

I can't remember if Biochem ZORB changes color the same way Purigen does when exhausted, but if not, I would think water parameters should dictate when. As another person said already though, you need to figure out the source of that increase ASAP. There are many different potential problems and many solutions to said problems

Back
Top Bottom