Bio-wheel filters(do I need an air pump?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two tanks with bio wheel filters. One 6 gal and a 29 gal.
Do I need the airpumps/stones in those or is the water getting enough oxygen from the filter?
The 6 gal is going to be well planted after I transplant my convict to the 30 or 55 gal.
Aloha and Thanks for all the great help and advice here!!!:invasion:
BTW: with the 75 and the RENA XP3. Am I going to need an air pump? Also, can someone plz explain to me what is the airstone with a large sponge around it at the tanks bottom all about that I see in some tanks?

If the fish aren't gasping at the surface, then you have enough surface agitation. FWIW, I've not used an air stone since I had the neon gravel and scuba diver bubbler... my filters have always provided adquate surface agitation.

Biowheels are excellent at aeration. I don't use them but even if I did I would still use air pumps. The last tihing you want is for them to be fine UNTIL the filter's motors stops running or something like that.

The air stone may create to much of a current in your 6 gallon. It sure did in my 5 gallon and I had to remove it. But it should be fine in your 29. I also didnt need one in my old 20 gallon.

I have a pump with a bio wheel and seems to have plenty of agitation, yet my balloon molly still gasps for air. I am going to be putting in an air pump as soon as i can

Gasping at the surface can be a sign of ammonia or nitrate poisoning. Make sure your water quality is good.

Thanks, I am trying to figure this out right now, there is a nother thread on what i am doing. But lets get back to the original purpose of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom