Bio-Wheel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 75 gallon tank is using a Marineland 350 (Penguin) and a Marineland 400(Emperor) HOB filter. The Marineland 350 Bio-wheels are rotating super smooth and quick. The Marineland 400 has 1 bio-wheel that is turning super smooth, but the other bio-wheel is barely turning and when it does it sort of stops then starts. There is a constant stream of water on it as I adjusted the spray, but that did not really make it start turning smoothly. Does anyone know what the issue might be, and is it really an issue, considering the other bio-wheel is running and the Marineland 350 is working perfectly? Thanks

How long have you had the wheel? It might be a good idea to replace it? Is it in the slots properly

On the 400 the spray bar can be adjusted to make the wheel turn at different speeds You may need to adjust how the spray is hitting the bio wheel.

I've heard a few times regarding bio wheels that as long as it is rotating (at any speed) it will "work". To me, it seems you would want a slower rotation speed for them to actually be beneficial. I use the 350B's myself but don't pay much attention to the wheels

Jesse

Slower is fine you don't want it to stop.

It could be out of balance, there could be a slight slime buildup in the intake or the output affecting water flow, sometimes a dab of Vaseline on the hubs helps.

(So does converting to a Fluval/aquaclear, lol).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Actually, biowheels are just a gimmick to sell filters. Every surface in the aquarium and filter media can/will support the beneficial bacteria. The number of bacteria depends on the bioload, and even in a newly set up tank a small piece of filter media from an established tank will allow stocking some fish immediately. In a matter of a day or two the bacteria will multiply and adjust.

I have marineland on all of my tanks and I dont think any of my biowheels rotate anymore and my tanks are just fine, I noticed that problem on my emperor 400 as well with one wheel that went mach 1 and one that moved at one rpm. I believe that it was just a dirty filterpad that caused the slowdown as well as some build up on the shaft

Actually, biowheels are just a gimmick to sell filters. Every surface in the aquarium and filter media can/will support the beneficial bacteria. The number of bacteria depends on the bioload, and even in a newly set up tank a small piece of filter media from an established tank will allow stocking some fish immediately. In a matter of a day or two the bacteria will multiply and adjust.

The biowheels may not be necessary, but they are a neat idea. It basically acts the same as a trickle filter. The highly oxygenated areas on it are very helpful to bacterial growth so a large amount will grow on the bio wheel. It also allows the filter cartridges to be changed without really having to worry about a mini cycle.

They are kind of gimmicky, but shouldn't be written off as the science behind their functionality is sound.

Back
Top Bottom