Black ghost knife care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS is closing down. I've been a regular for a while and they love me. The manager has blessed me with the opportunity of getting her black ghost knife and tank for a good price. I have a 48 bowfront with little in it at the moment. He's right at 5 inches long, so he's still young. Could he thrive in a 48 until I get that bigger tank up and going the way I want it to be. She didn't have much in there anymore for plants and I would like to scape it. Not sure the size of the tank but it's around 100 gallons give or take.

Just how fast do ghost knifes grow? I'm not gonna have this tank up for at least 6 months maybe a year. Would a 48 bowfront be enough space for him until I get that other one going? I thought it would because the tanks dimensions are fairly forgiving. It's got a good combo of height, width, and how deep it is.

She's going to throw ornaments in for free specifically for him. Those hollowed out wood ornaments that they like so much and I'm going to throw some bunch plants around it for camo

They don't grow very fast however you should be looking for a 125g (6 foot) for long term. YouTube can really show you their true adult size.

If you can get it settled in you are past the biggest roadblock which is getting them to eat. I have not owned a BGK but have owned an African brown knife. Shy creatures but can be taught to hand feed.

Yeah mine is very active and curious but have seen him nibble once at a shrimp pellet

Mine really preferred frozen foods. From what I've read that's the hardest part with them is getting them to eat.

Yeah same here. He seems to be happy so I'm hoping he will come around

Alright, so.... I talked to the manager at my LFS closing down. She can do a 100g with a sump already on it with a stand and lighting for $150. I really don't think I'm going to be able to pass it up. 100g would be enough for a mature BGK, correct?

Back
Top Bottom