Black Ghost Knife Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out here! I'll start from the beginning. I cycled my 55 gallon with absolutely nothing it save for a piece of "seed" Driftwood from my other tank, tossing in some fish flakes every other day. It was rough, I was bored and wanted something in there lol. On the up side, it cycled rather quickly. I found a large black ghost knife being given away online. I jumped at it, and soon I was knocking on a door to pick him up. The lovely people who gave him to me, however, insisted that I take ALL the other fish from the tank as well. Having an empty 55 at home, and seeing all of these fish in a 15 gallon Fluval tank, I just HAD to bring them home with me. I managed to give most of them away.

Now I have a 55 gallon tank with a 10" black ghost knife
Small white pond snail
**Striped raphael catfish - I have never seen this fish. It was given to me along with the ornament it calls home. It never comes out, and I have no idea how big it is. I only know it's in there because I can hear him croaking in the ornament if I take it from the water
2 x 100w Fluval m submersible heaters
Marineland penguin 350 filter

Now, finally, my question is, what kind of tankmates are best suited for a large black ghost knife such as mine? I'm really trying my hardest to get the catfish out of there, but short of breaking the ornament, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks so much in advance guys, and I apologize for the long painful post lol

PS. I plan on building an extra large tank for this beauty, the 55 already seems to small.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH 6050A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I've looked at these but thought it would get too big for a 4ft tank. I'd say small fish like neons would be out and some peaceful larger fish.

FW I'm not sure about rainbows, I thought BGK were easily outcompeted for food and rainbows are the kings if that IMO :)

First of all, thanks for the replies!! I was getting a bit worried!!
Delapool- He does already seem too big for this tank! When I "adopted" him he was in a 15 gallon tank, and honestly I didn't think he would be this big lol. What would you consider some large, peaceful fish though? I've seen the suggestion many times but I'm still not sure the direction to go.
Eggheadfish- A BGK being outcompeted for food may happen with a smaller juvenile fish, but this big boy is more than capable of getting the food quick & efficient lol. He eats an entire frozen block of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, or bloodworms, twice a day =O

First of all, thanks for the replies!! I was getting a bit worried!!

Delapool- He does already seem too big for this tank! When I "adopted" him he was in a 15 gallon tank, and honestly I didn't think he would be this big lol. What would you consider some large, peaceful fish though? I've seen the suggestion many times but I'm still not sure the direction to go.

Eggheadfish- A BGK being outcompeted for food may happen with a smaller juvenile fish, but this big boy is more than capable of getting the food quick & efficient lol. He eats an entire frozen block of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, or bloodworms, twice a day =O

Well at the time I was looking at getting sailfin mollies that were around 4 or 5 inches in the shop (much bigger than the normal mollies I get). I figured I'd try them as get a few babies every so often. And then I was eyeing off a knife fish but have now ended up with angels instead.

Edit - how quick has he grown?

Would black skirt tetras be to small? They seem like they would be to big for the bgk to eat because of the tetras body shape.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys, after more research I found an article that says peaceful african cichlids might be a good match with my ghost knife. Would you guys agree?

Whoa, sorry, didn't see your posts before I did that. I'm not sure how fast he grew to this size, but my guess is somewhere between 2-4 years. These people told me it was their sons fish tank, and he had gone to college. Gonna do some research on the suggestions so far!

I don't think black skirt tetras would be eaten, they do have an odd shape; plus this ghost knife grew up around tiny fish so I think he understands they are friends, not food lol. However, I don't think they are what I'm looking for. I'd like something a bit larger
My only issue with catfish is the fact that I already have a raphael stuck in that stupid ornament lol. Even if I did get another cat it would be a bottom dweller, which is also not what I'm looking for =/
Sorry guys, don't mean to be picky

Gah. Should have edited one of the other comments instead of posting another. Its been a while, I'm rusty

Hey guys, after more research I found an article that says peaceful african cichlids might be a good match with my ghost knife. Would you guys agree?

I've read that as well but out of my depth now. Makes sense in that would be a decent size fish, peaceful but can hold their own and may not hog all the food. Did it say what sort of fish? That was the concern I had with mollies - the bn catfish have learnt to line up for the afternoon sinking wafers. Loaches I think would be out, just for getting the food.

I have a Senegal bichir of similar size with mine along with a sailfin plec. I was worried as i never really seen my bgk eating but i just make sure i put pellets in after lights out and its doing ok. Never see it during the day apart from the odd tail wag from his/her cave

I still have it. My tank isn't quite big enough as its only 300litre but when i move house ill be building a big one.

Bgk is only about 5.5"

Bichir 6"

Sailfin plec 5"

6x black rhuby barbs

2x dwarf gourami

2x silver sharks

I did have 4 guppies but the bichir has been at them and i now have one

Hunh, interesting to hear from someone with a black ghost! =) I bought a juvenile in store once who was shy as well, couldn't get the food it needed and I lost the little one. Was very disheartening until I found an add for the beauty I have now. He is shy during the day and hides in his ghost tube, but as soon as the sun goes down he starts twirlling around the tank, flipping end over end, doing figure eights. He spooks at sudden movements, but if your still, he will come swim in front of you. He is amazing, worth so much more than the $20 I gave for him.

Ok, I'm done daydreaming about my fish, I promise lol. Doing some research and I'll get back to you guys!

Delapool- thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I agree I think loaches are out; Ive always wanted some but I wont put them in with my ghost. I don't know much about cichlids though, I have some time today so I'll do some research on which I would choose. First thoughts on peaceful cichlids would be acei? Blood parrots? (Not an African obviously, but I don't think we should hold their heritage against them.)

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add but I would love to see a pic of your knife fish if possible?! Absolutely love them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A shop in my area has creamsicle sailfin mollies the size of my hand- they are HUGE- so they'd be safe with him if you get them big enough.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I guess I was looking at cheap options too. I thought if I lost the odd fish then it would just be a matter of breeding and keeping a few babies in a net. As I was looking at mollies I fancied I could tick the breeding bit off before I had left the store.

Back
Top Bottom