Black Ghost Knifefish Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi - new here. My kid likes to dance to the beat of a different drum, so he's dead set on a BGK fish. We are not completely new to fish but I've never had a tank over 20 gallons so we're in uncharted territory. We have a 39 gallon tank. Just getting it set up. No fish yet. We only want to keep the one BGK in it. Any advice on the tank set-up and advice for keeping this fish alive appreciated. Is it ok to keep just one fish in a tank?

A bgk gets way to big for that size tank. The smallest size I've seen suggested was 150 gallons. If you really want to get one you will need a much larger tank.

Yeah I realized that after we started researching it. Fish store guy said it would be fine, a bit frustrating. I'm hoping it will be ok until it grows a bit larger then maybe we can get a larger tank. I've seen tank size recommendations from 40-150. Hoping if we keep him solo that will help too.

They also said we could keep a betta and a BGK together. Which is a big no no I found out later.

They also said we could keep a betta and a BGK together. Which is a big no no I found out later.

This is where you learn not to trust your lfs. I generally go in and ask feeler questions that I know the answer to when I go to a new lfs.

If he wants something eel line I would suggest a school of kuhli loaches instead. I would avoid a knife fish like the plague.

Yeah I'm pretty unhappy with the lfs so far. Told us we could have the tank set up and ready in 24 hours too. I think they were just trying to make a sale. Also everything is non-refundable so I begged them to let me exchange the 40 gallon for a larger tank (which i bought, based on the advice THEY gave me) but alas - no go. So we're planning a BGK in 40 gal tank, solo. If he survives we will upgrade later.

Why not get a bichir instead? Petsmart sells "dinosaur" bichirs. (Also called a senegal bichir or cuvier bichir I think) They are much more active and would be much more appropriate for that size tank.

Also what about rope fish?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think a rope fish or some type of fw eel (tire track, fire) would be better. Smaller tank, bigger than yours but smaller than 150.

If you want a eel type fish for that tank look into Lublin loaches or peacock eels. But the BGK needs a bare minimum of a 125 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom