Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Black loach questions

I'm a newbie here and I recently aquired a 10G tropical community tank. It's fully cycled and I added a black loach just a few days ago. After my research I learned that they do better in groups so I do plan to get him a friend or two.

When I purchased him he was in a tank with at least 20 others with gravel. They were darting all over the place and burrowing under the gravel so I didn't think he would have an issue with my gravel. Since I added him I've noticed some crackling noises coming from my tank. It really freaked me out until I realized it was him unsuccessfully trying to burrow under my gravel. I have yet to see him successfully be able to hide there. I do have 2 cave decorations in my tank, but I rarely see him use them. He's almost always out and about. What are the best decorations or hiding places for loaches? I want to make him comfortable!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a little cave with three openings on it that my loaches love to stay in. I think the reason they like it is because the openings don't let in a ton of light, and they don't go all the way to the gravel, they're like Windows on a house, so there's a little ledge if that makes sense. Other than that, idk why they like it so much. They live in there with two of my rope fish lol

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My loaches love the thick tangle of rhizomes from my java fern. Also hiding in the dark under my driftwood. And i bought an anubias that came in one of those plastic pots and i just left it in the pot in my tank and they wiggle into the pot through the slits that are just big enough and there will be three khulis tangled together in there!
So basically small spaces they can squeeze into and dark
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that "crackling" sound you hear is not them trying to burrow - that is the sound they make when they are eating. it is so cool. another member told me about it too. when I drop the shrimp pellets in there you start to hear them clicking away. I have 6 polka dot loach in my tank. I have gravel in there and some sunken boats they can go into - I never see these guys sleeping - always out and about all over the place. they are great! hope you get your guy some friends - they like to be with friends but they are not schooling.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have over a dozen loaches and personally, I don't think a 10 gallon is a good choice for them. They really like to zoom across the tank, from top to bottom both vertically and diagonally. A 10 gallon just isn't enough of a footprint for their behavior.

I would recommend no fewer than 5.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com