blue rams and firemouth cichlids in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobcatken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie here. It's been about 15+ years since I've kept a 10 gallon freshwater tank. Just getting back into fishkeeping.

I bought a 30 gallon tank (36"x12"x16" lwh) this week. Originally I was planning to have a community tank with various tetras, gouramis, cories, and a pair of rams. As I research rams more, I'm a little wary as they seem to be quite fragile. Is this true?

If I don't get the rams, I'm thinking about firemouth cichlids. I've read this cichlid can generally be kept in community tanks if it's a single firemouth. Would I be able to keep a pair in a community tank? If so, what fish would be able to handle themselves if the firemouths started breeding?

thanks in advance!

I can confirm that GBR's are very touchy about water quality and do tend to die for no apparent reason right after you get them. Actually the reason is that they're especially touchy about water quality and parameters being just what they want them to be, sudden changes are easily fatal.

Sorry but I can't help you on the firemouths, I haven't kept them myself, so I have no idea how well they play with others.

With rams some keys to success would be a well cycled tank before adding any of the fish. Get your fish if possible from a breeder, they seem to survive better. Regular water changes and pristine water conditions and a varied diet will all ensure better chances of success with rams.

I have kept GBR's for years and can tell you that they don't need pristine water conditions as long as they are good quality. The trick is finding that good quality to begin with. The rams that will be picky will be wild or they will be mass produced from Asian fish farms and will be thin/sickly looking. They use hormones to color up the fish more quickly for sale which ultimately leads to their early demise.

Back
Top Bottom