Bottom plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So we're looking at starting a 120g to move our cichlids to. The plan is to use PFS as the substrate, with lots of DW and river rock. I've seen posts on here where some suggest using egg crate under the sand so that if it shifts, the rocks or DW won't stress the bottom glass. Since the set-up we're looking at comes with a UGF, shouldn't I be able to use those plates for the same purpose? Any thoughts?

yeah, ugf plates would work.. only problem i have with using anything under the sand is that it is just begging to trap debris... i dont have anything under my rocks, i just put the rocks against the glass on the bottom so they cant fall...

I use UGF plates for this. only have 1 hooked up on a reverse flow as to not trap the crap under it. 6 months and the cleanest part of my tank is under that plate.

yeah, ugf plates would work.. only problem i have with using anything under the sand is that it is just begging to trap debris... i dont have anything under my rocks, i just put the rocks against the glass on the bottom so they cant fall...

I was concerned about it being a debris magnet if we went that route. Our cichlids aren't diggers, so I guess it isn't much of an issue.

I use UGF plates for this. only have 1 hooked up on a reverse flow as to not trap the crap under it. 6 months and the cleanest part of my tank is under that plate.

I had been trying to research that reverse flow ugf thing. All I was able to find was two articles that confused the heck out of me lol

Back
Top Bottom