Bought 2 - 65 gallon tanks today complete with cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone, I saw an ad in the paper and went to look at two 65 gallon tanks with stand, lights, submersible heaters, Aqua-Clear 300 filters, all decor including fake plants, rocks, etc. They also come with lots of fish. The guy wanted $425.00 Canadian. Not a bad deal at all. I ended up buying them!

I am a bit daunted by the size of these tanks since the largest tank I have now is a 29 gallon. Also a bit concerned about the weight when full. Do any of you have large tanks in your livingrooms?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the following types of fish. Electric Yellow Cichlids, Yellow Tail Acci cichlid, Zamora catfish, Electric Blue Johanni Cichlids, clown loaches?

If you have cichlids, does it have to be a cichlid tank only or do they get along with other types of fish such as Tetras, Barbs, catfish, etc.

Tanks that size need to be on aquarium stands designed to hold that much weight.
One gal weifgs 7lbs. Plus the weight of the rocks, decorations.
I wouldn't put clown loaches with cichlids, but let's see what others say.
It does need to be a cichlid only tank. The other fish you mentioned all require different water requirements.

Kim

African Cichlids, such as the Mbuna you acquired, can live with plecos (usually), Synodontis sp., and some other catfish, but YMMV. First of all, the Mbuna like higher pH and harder water than other tropicals. Secondly, they will eat smaller tank mates. Although clown loaches have different water requirements, I have seen them kept with Mbuna.
Your fish come from Lake Malawi, check out this link for more info and continue to ask questions! A successful cichlid keep can never do too much research!!

Back
Top Bottom