Brackish 5 Gallon Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok... after I upgrade my platy and betta, platy to a 3 or 5 gallon and betta into his filtered one, I'm getting a five for xmas. I was thinking this:
-Dwarf Puffer x1
-Bumblebee Goby x1
-Ghost Shrimp x3
-MAYBE an african dwarf frog
Can all these live in brackish, I know the puffer and goby can of course, but can the shrimp and frog. And is it overstocked? If so, will this work:
-Dwarf Puffer x1
-Guppies x3
-Ghost Shrimp x3 or 4
I've seen guppies and a dwarf puffer together a few times on youtube, so um, yeah. Please respond.

I wouldn't put ANYTHING with a dwarf puffer as they are very aggressive. One DP would be great, and they are just freshwater (if your taking about Carinotetraodon travancoricus). A heavily planted tank is a must too.

dwarf puffers are completely freshwater not brackish and i wouldnt suggest housing anything else with it as they are very messy and they are notorious fin nippers. the gobies, guppies, and african dwarf frogs should all be in 10 gallon or larger tanks so i would suggest just doing a species only with a puffer he would most likely eat the shrimp if you put any in also

Well, I think I'll take the risk with shrimp, it seems 50/50 so I'll check it out. But do they fin-nip or hurt bumblebee gobies, I heard not, but I want to make sure. But no guppies, ok. I'll do shrimp... MAYBE goby... still trying to research this topic.

Don't put the goby in. I'd say its overstocked with a goby and DP. Your DP will most likely NOT get along with the shrimp so I wouldn't even try it out. Just a DP in the tank with lots of plants is your best bet.

What about otocinclus? And would a figure 8 puffer work with a goby? Yeah, I know, most my fish knowledge is on livebearers.
Most likely I might get 2 DPs and 3 otos if otos are ok with puffers.

My mom likes livebearers, and I thought dwarf puffers are cool. I can't ask for a 10. Only the Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 because I want a tank on my dresser in my room instead of more living room tanks, I want one for myself to care for, so I can use it to learn more about fish. You see, my room is hogged up by a bunk bed, a big tv, some toy boxes, and my really old tv and stand which I want to move out. And a dresser. I'm hoping to take out the old tv and stand, and rearrange the toy boxes for this big space for a 10 gallon and stand.

What about otocinclus? And would a figure 8 puffer work with a goby? Yeah, I know, most my fish knowledge is on livebearers.

My mom likes livebearers, and I thought dwarf puffers are cool. I can't ask for a 10. Only the Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 because I want a tank on my dresser in my room instead of more living room tanks, I want one for myself to care for, so I can use it to learn more about fish. You see, my room is hogged up by a bunk bed, a big tv, some toy boxes, and my really old tv and stand which I want to move out. And a dresser. I'm hoping to take out the old tv and stand, and rearrange the toy boxes for this big space for a 10 gallon and stand.

Puffers are brackish and Otos are not. Look at least a sparkling groumai, I think they would do good with shrimp

A figure 8 puffer gets too big for a 5g The species I have you is the only one that can comfortably fit in a 5g. That should be the only thing in the 5g, unless you get the shrimp. It may not seem like much but IME they're extremely active and love all their space! Plus they are VERY messy eaters and need extra filtration; at least 10x you're gallons, i.e. 50 gph.

If you want puffers, only do one in that size tank! Period! Fill it with plants and I think it'll look great. If you put Ottos in their I think it'll be overstocked.

Ok I accidentally deleted that post xD.
Oops.
Anyways... I'll try to get this tank so I can get more than just 1 puffer, but it'll cost me to rearrange a ton of my room:
10 Gallon Fish Tank » Top Fin® 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit | PetSmart

And which filter would be recommended, please don't say the Aqueon 30 if the Aqueon 20 is good enough, I don't want to spend more unless I need to or it'll be worth it:
Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 Aquarium Power Filters - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 Aquarium Power Filters - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

or 2 of these:
Tetra Whisper In-Tank Power Aquarium Filters - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

Back
Top Bottom