Brackish starter tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm working on a new tank that I plan to transition to brackish, it will contain columbian sharks and probably mollies. Having never run a brackish tank before I'm looking for any advice you all can offer. The tank is a 40 gallon long which I know is too small for the Columbians but they will eventually be moved into a larger tank when they grow some. Just don't have the room for a bigger tank right now. It will be starting as fresh and I want to slowly build it up to brackish.

I'm thinking that I will do 10 gallon water changes and when I do add in about 2 tablespoons of Instant Ocean each time. Does that sound like a solid plan to slowly build up the salinity?

To account for evaporation increasing the salinity I'm thinking of marking the tank at a level where 10 gallons will bring it full again. This should allow me to just keep adding the same amount of salt to my water changes right? When I drain out water as part of the change I'll just drain out enough to get me to the mark.

Anything else I should know? I'm sure I'm over complicating it but I like to be thorough :p

Back
Top Bottom