Brackish tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrPatty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a 55 gal brackish tank. I have brackish scats, monos, puffers, columbian sharks but I really need some kind of algae eater. I have not seen any for brackish tanks. Can anyone suggest? What is the best salinity for these fish?

Seems like you have a hodgepodge of fish. You may want to do some research and consider returning some of your fish.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of those fish grow much too large for a 55 gallon. And the only low-end brackish algae eater I can think of is a neon stiphodon goby which would be devoured by your other fish.

Response to Caleb

I wouldn't recommend anything. Most of those fish will outgrow a 55g anyway.

Caleb

Isn't it true that they will only grow as large as the tank? My husband called it I believe indeterminate growth? Right now these are all babies except for the scats.

Why Hodgepodge?

Seems like you have a hodgepodge of fish. You may want to do some research and consider returning some of your fish.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why Hodgepodge? They are all brackish. There are more puffers which don't grow large, the green scats stay small, the red scat is a bit larger, the mono will grow (if he outgrows his tank, we will put him in my husband's 133 gal chiclid tank, we have 2 mollies (they look full grown) and 2 medium columbian sharks. They are all brackish and tend to have similar attitudes. Remember, they are being raised together and they are young.

Thank you for responding about the algae eater!

All of those fish grow much too large for a 55 gallon. And the only low-end brackish algae eater I can think of is a neon stiphodon goby which would be devoured by your other fish.
I commented about the size of the tank in the other answers. Thank you for answering about the algae eater. I am using a product to help with the algae. The tank is somewhat new but not brand new.

Hi again. Thank you for all of your responses! I thought I would share a picture of my tank and my husband's tank. We will be setting up webcams so that members of my own website can virtually see our tanks at any time of day (for chronic pain sufferers).
You all were fantastic and quick in answering! I will definitely use this forum again.
img_3326765_0_656b38bfc384a85f78f559c130fda978.jpg

Isn't it true that they will only grow as large as the tank? My husband called it I believe indeterminate growth? Right now these are all babies except for the scats.

This is completely a myth. That "indeterminate growth" is really called stunting and has lasting health problems with the fish.

It's like putting a dog in a small cage and telling it not to grow. It won't work out pretty.

There's plenty of smaller brackish fish such as mollies and gobies that would do great in here but scats and Monodactylus get much too big.

Edited: I would rehome (or take back) the Sharks, scats, and monos.

I do however appreciate you were willing to give them brackish as many ignore that part...

Caleb

Last edited:
Thank you Caleb. I will take that into consideration.

Agreed with Caleb. Fish only growing as large as their tank is a myth. Another myth is that fish that are raised together will get along...

Thank you!

Agreed with Caleb. Fish only growing as large as their tank is a myth. Another myth is that fish that are raised together will get along...
Thank you so much for you comment also! My husband is 75 (22 years older than I am) and these are the things he has learned years ago. I corrected him with what you told me and he seems to understand better now!:)

Thanks again

Thank you again!! We at some point are going to get a saltwater tank, but because of the prices, it may take some time. I own a chronic and intractable pain website. I want to put web cams up for all of the fish tanks so that members can come into our home (virtually) when they are in severe pain and try to get the fist to distract them from the pain. I had emailed many tank manufacturers to see if they would help with the cost, but no go. I started a dialogue with the guys from a popular tv show and when I told them our budget, I never heard from them again! Ugh!

If you are having an Algae issue, how long are you running the lights ?

Reduce lights to 6 hours a day to limit algae. Don't over feed. Keep up on water changes.

What type of lights do you use ? Too many watts can also cause an algae farm.

Once Algae is gone, you can try increasing to 8 hours a day.

You can split the 8 hours into 2 sets of 4 hours of lighting if that's better for viewing.

It's a nice thing you are doing, I hope you can find a backer. Perhaps appeal to FB. Set up a GoFundMe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used one of the algae ridders. My salinity is not high so we tried an algae eater and he is fine and doing fabulous. We only use the lights when feeding in the morning and then for some time in the evening! The tank and fish are thriving!

Mixing Fish and Salt

My salinity is not high so we tried an algae eater and he is fine and doing fabulous.
I've been pondering this issue as well, because I don't actually know the lines between fresh, brackish and salt? I recently added salt for a couple of figure 8 puffers and none of the other residents seem to mind at all: Algae Eater, Convicts, Giant Danios, an Oscar, Jack Dempsey and several different varieties of catfish. These are all in a 190g tank, with seemingly plenty of room for everybody.

Thank you for your comment and I will answer your question

I've been pondering this issue as well, because I don't actually know the lines between fresh, brackish and salt? I recently added salt for a couple of figure 8 puffers and none of the other residents seem to mind at all: Algae Eater, Convicts, Giant Danios, an Oscar, Jack Dempsey and several different varieties of catfish. These are all in a 190g tank, with seemingly plenty of room for everybody.

I told my husband to add some salt to his cichlid tank, but he doesn't listen (age thing I think). I have a 55gal tank full of brackish fish and they are fine! I now have a full tank but have figure 8 puffers, spotted puffers, a dwarf puffer (when he comes out), 2 mollies. several mono sebaes, several mono argentus, 2 columbian sharks, 1 red scat, 3 green scats and now an algae eater! They are happy and doing great! I am using a cannister filter and a biowheel filter because of the amount of fish. I went through several articles and the salinity can vary. Mine are fine!

Back
Top Bottom