Brand New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_tothe_lijah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know there are lots of posts on here about new people, but I really am brand new. Haven't owned a fish since I was 5, and it died. Looking to avoid a repeat.

Anyways, here's the story. I've got about $300-400 I'm looking to spend on my girlfriend for a fishtank for her birthday. I was looking at the local pet stores and found some 30g+ with stand combos to get started for about $150. Outside of "the fish are pretty, I want one!" and outside of knowing I need some generic type of filter, rocks, and a sunken ship, I know nothing. Where do I go from here?

Welcome to the site :)

The most important first step is to educate yourself about the nitrogen cycle. Check out the stickys in the Getting Started section of the site. There's some great resources which will get you off to a good start.

Good luck :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welcome: You have come to the right place for all kinds of advice and information. To start with, you should definitely read the link on Eco's post, before proceeding any further. And I might add that a 30 gal tank is a great start, esp. if it comes with stand and lights. Besides that, you will need a heater, a filter, and substrate such as gravel or sand. I could recomment brand names if you need, but it would probably be better if you got them from someone who has been in the hobby longer than myself. Be sure to study Eco's guide well, and research everything for yourself. It is the best way to be informed. I wish you well in your new hobby, and warn you, in advance, that it can be addicting.:)

warn you, in advance, that it can be addicting.:)

So true!

Welcome to AA! This community was able to assist me in my tank setups too, very helpful and informative. #1 rule (IMO) is not to trust any local stores until you have researched for yourself. Definitely don't trust the big box stores like Petco.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to AA:) Firstly try and do as much research as possible,either by reading or asking questions on here. It may seem very daunting,cycling the tank,all the different filters and different types of set up and obviously all the different types of fish:fish2:. Take it one step at a time and don't rush or try to cut corners and success will be yours:)

Hi and welcome to AA! It's great you're doing research first! You already know the basics of what you need (tank, lights, heater, hood, filter). You should also invest in a good liquid test kit (API Master kit is best) and a good dechlorinator like Prime.

There's a link in my signature called "new empty tank." It'll guide you on how to properly cycle the tank before you get fish. As for stocking, do research first. Your best bet is to find some fish you like then ask here for opinions on whether they are suitable for your tank. Good luck!

So what about price? Is 150 enough to buy everything else? I haven't a clue

So what about price? Is 150 enough to buy everything else? I haven't a clue

I would think so yes, depending on where you buy and what you buy. The package you saw at the store came with the tank and stand ---- did it include anything else (hood, lights, etc)? We can help recommend some things if you let us know what else you need. :)

:welcome: to AA! :)

Usually those tank-in-a-box packages I avoid, as the heaters and filters aren't that good, but if it's on display then it's fine. Do you know if you want fake or live plants?

Well I want something low maintanence because I know my girlfriend well, so are live plants low maintenance?

e_tothe_lijah said:
Well I want something low maintanence because I know my girlfriend well, so are live plants low maintenance?

It depends on your lights. Usually plants will that will grow in any setup are java fern, penny wort, hornwort, java moss, anacharis, and anubias. Although they would grow faster with some nutrients, they can get by without.

Back
Top Bottom