Brand new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Three22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, new to the site and to fish/aquariums altogether. I just have a few questions about setting everything up. I bought a tank from my dad for my girlfriends dad for his birthday, as my girlfriend suggested he'd like it, so I bought a 56 gallon tank with a marineland magnum 350 pro filter with bio-wheel. I set it all up, added the gravel substrate, filled it with water and per my dad, added some bacteria in a bottle. it's been sitting for a few days now with the filter running. I've been doing some research, realizing that neither of the dads know too much on the subject and discovered that I have to cycle the tank. Just for the (Mod edit) of it, I tested the chemicals and the ammo, nitrites and nitrates tested at 0 and the ph is at 7.8. So just to be sure, my next step should be to get some ammonia and add it till I get about 4ppm and let it cycle, correct?
Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Three22 said:
Hey guys, new to the site and to fish/aquariums altogether. I just have a few questions about setting everything up. I bought a tank from my dad for my girlfriends dad for his birthday, as my girlfriend suggested he'd like it, so I bought a 56 gallon tank with a marineland magnum 350 pro filter with bio-wheel. I set it all up, added the gravel substrate, filled it with water and per my dad, added some bacteria in a bottle. it's been sitting for a few days now with the filter running. I've been doing some research, realizing that neither of the dads know too much on the subject and discovered that I have to cycle the tank. Just for the (Mod edit) of it, I tested the chemicals and the ammo, nitrites and nitrates tested at 0 and the ph is at 7.8. So just to be sure, my next step should be to get some ammonia and add it till I get about 4ppm and let it cycle, correct?
Thanks in advance. :)

Yep, keep the ammonia at 4 ppm, and soon you'll start seeing some nitrites, then nitrates.

You are cycled when you have absoulutely 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites an your nitrates are >20 ppm

There are a number of ways that you can cycle a tank properly. The easiest and fastest IMO (in my opinion) is to add cycled media. Other ways are discussed in depth in the articles section and elsewhere on the site that can be found by using the search function.

Welcome to AA!

Welcome!!!!! Make sure you look for ammonia that has no perfumes, dyes, additives, etc. If you shake the bottle & it foams/bubbles, keep searching! Ace Hardware's 10% Janitorial Strength Ammonia is a popular choice for fishless cycling though i know there are a few other brands that will do the job as well. Dont hesistate to ask questions-we are all here to help!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom