Brand New To The Fish World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, my name is Robert Ryan, I am a freelance artist, and I recently got hired at a local pet store as well. I went in with experience with different mammals but no experience with birds, reptiles or fish. I have learned insane amounts of information over the past month of working there, but I know full well that I've only barely scratched the surface of what I need to get into to make sure I am a knowledgable enough staff member at a place where we actually care about pets. Part of that was me being sent home with a 10 gallon tank set up from my work to learn. I have already cycled for 48 hours and introduced 3 Serpae Tetras into my tank after checking to make sure my levels are ok. I've waited to see how well these 3 were doing for about two weeks before thinking about adding more, but they seem to be doing well, and I have maintained my levels at a place where I think it's safe to introduce more in soon. I have heard that tetras like to be in a school of at least 6 but I've also heard that tetras tend to favor odd numbers, so do you think that 7 would be an ok number for a 10 gallon tank or is that pushing it too far? I appreciate any advice anyone has on Serpae Tetra care as I do some research myself to become a better fish owner. I have plans to buy a bigger tank once I get a hang of being a fish owner and getting a nice community tank going eventually! I look forward to chatting with you all and learning more about fish care here :)

-Robert

Welcome! 48hrs is no true cycle. You need to do a full nitrogen cycle for your fish. No worries, I didn't know either. Just look up fish in or fish less cycling here on the forum.
Edit- serape tetras are not appropriate for a 10 gal tank; not much is. A nice Betta or some male guppies would do much better

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

The ultimate goal is to buy a bigger tank (I'm looking at 30-50 gallons to start) once I've gotten a handle on this 10 gallon. My work purposely is making me do this "the hard way" so I know what to do (and not to do) when a customer asks. I have my levels to a nice range but I believe my tank is doing a bacterial bloom right now since I didn't use something like Quick Start and my work made me use tap water (which I know is usually a HUGE no no) so that I had to fight with my levels. The levels are fine but the water is just slightly cloudy (I'm assuming this is a bacterial bloom because I'm not overfeeding?) so I am doing a 25% water change today and will continue to do water changes every 3 days or so to see if that helps. My tetras seem to be happy (no clamped fins, no hanging out in corners of the tank for abnormal periods of time, a good red coloring, and obviously no signs of ich) but I don't want to introduce more fish until I can make sure everything is settled and stable.I know that the Serpae Tetras need a bigger tank eventually and have plans to do so within a month, but do you think that they would be happier in a group of 5 in the meantime?

I'd leave them as three. They need a school but water quality is more important right now. Have you checked out the cycling articles? I know you're doing this the hard way but you're going to need to be able to explain how to cycle a tank.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am checking them out and definitely learning a lot. Learning animal care is an extremely steep learning curve but I am definitely up to the task!

That's the most important thing, being willing to learn. I commend you for that. Many come here and insist their way is the only way, that dumping a hodgepodge of fish in 1 gallon of water is perfectly fine and we are all wrong. It's refreshing to hear from someone who is willing to make the effort! :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Oh totally! I am learning a lot but like I said before I am well aware that I've barely even scratched the surface. I love this store and the mentality they have towards pets there. I just want to clarify that I am not giving customers any fish/reptile/bird advice until I'm properly trained. Basically all I am doing until I have more thorough training is ringing up customers, stocking shelves, carrying bags of food for customers, grabbing fish for people who are ready to take a fish home, and basic stuff like that. I would hate to be giving anyone bad advice or sell an unnecessary product to a patron, so I have no problem telling customers, "I don't know the answer to that yet, but let me go grab someone that does!" which almost everyone seems to appreciate. I also don't want to look like a schmuck for telling a customer incorrect information lol!

I just talked to my fiance and we are buying a 20 gallon setup for the tetras before we get a community tank. Once I get this 10g tank through the rest of it's initial cycle and the levels are stable I am going to take the stuff from this tank and add it to my 20 gallon to set it up for a nice little serpae school (I'm thinking 9 would be ok in a 20 gallon tank, or should I play it safe with 7?)

Back to my 10 Gallon
I have my ph staying right around 7.0 finally, the other levels are remaining stable and my fish seem happy so I hope I am doing this cycling process right. I have been reading the many, many articles on here and that is helping a lot.
One thing I was unsure of: I have read some people recommending a 25% water change and some people recommending 50%, at least twice a week. I was wondering what people's opinions were on that. Is 50% too extreme unless I'm trying to take care of something spiking? I have been doing 25% up until this point and it seems to be working, but would 50% changes speed the process along? Thanks in advance for any and all help you might have :)

Back
Top Bottom