Bringing a fish home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickstanley995

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guyd so my tank is cycled and ready and was going to bring my fish home this week! Only problem is its now winter and -25 degrees celsius weather is now here un canada. How can I safely bring my fish home? Its a 20-30 minute drivem thats what im mostly worried about is the long drive in the cold. What can I do to protect my fish?! Oh almost forgot, im getting convicts, dont know if the type of fish makes a difference. Thanks for the help

I would maybe try a styrofoam box or esky. A hot water bottle in it could provide a stable temperature during a half hour drive.

Okay perfect! Thanks ill do that. Hopefully they survive the trip!

You're welcome. Be careful not to go too hot with the water bottle though. Maybe trial it out in the backyard with a thermometer in the box/esky first so you know how hot the water bottle will keep the interior of the box. Good luck with it.

Whenever i bring fish home (i also live in canada), i dont really do anything besides rush home haha, i make sure i have the heat in the car on full but otherwise no other prep. They always make it!

I'm with matty here. As long as the heat is on in the car a half hour drive shouldn't be a problem. If you want to use an Styrofoam box go for it, but its not really necessary. Do go straight home tho, fish don't like running errands.

Back
Top Bottom