Brown Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SignalSoldier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I finally got my aquarium cycled the other day after 3 weeks. I added my fish and have quite a few live plants growing in it.

My problem now is that I have a pretty bad brown algae problem. It's growing on all the sides of the tank, all over my sand, and on my plants. It started growing about a week and a half ago. I have been doing 30% water changes once a week since i started cycling it; and once it was cycled i did a 90% water change and wiped down all the sides of the aquarium which was about 5 days ago and did a thorough vacuuming.

I currently have 10 neon tetras, 3 ghost shrimp and just added 6 or 7 MTS to combat the algae and stir my sand aswell. I have 5 java ferns, and 1 Anubis. I use API leaf zone to feed the plants, adding about 3mL a week (reccomended is 5mL a week for 10 gallons)

I was keeping my 11 watt finnex light on about 12 hours a day but have just today put it on a timer for 6 hours a day to see how that works.

Is there anything else I need to do that will rid my tank of this algae?

12 hours was a ton of light. Limit yourself to no more than 8 hours daily and you should see improvement.

Caleb

okay, I will wait and see how well that works for now.

On another note, I have a piece of driftwood that I bought from fluval. I have boiled it, baked it at 400 degrees for 4 hours, and then placed in into my tank in no matter what I do there's always a thin mucus like clear/white bacteria/fungus that keep growing all over it and so i remove it and repeat to no avail. How do I get rid of this? It doesn't seem to grow on anything else except the wood itself.

That white fungus is normal. Some fish and snails will eat it. It does go away after awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brown algae is just part of the bb that the tank needs and accumulates in my tank every two weeks or less, I just keep doing huge water changes every two weeks or so and when I do I clean all the decor but I leave most in the substrate.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom