Brown stuff on fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help :/. Our 20 gal that we're trying to cycle is starting to get a brown coating on all the fake plants in the aquarium. It brushes off easily, but what is it? I know that nitrites can turn real plants brown. Nitrites are 0, ammonia has been .50 or less and nitrates are 0 still, but what is this brown stuff? We have only done 1 partial water change in 1 month, when the ammonia started getting to .50. There's 3 zebra danios and 2 pearl danios in it.

Sounds like algae. I added a CAE and he does a great job. All gone in 24 hours. I'm sure others will probably have some better ideas.

Kim

it is brown algae. plastic is notorious for attracting the stuff! and since the tank is mostly new yet there is still a lot of silicates from your plants/decor and even your glass tank and this does help attract the brown algae but is not the cause. I've been told that after time it won't be as bad but i still have it 5 months now. You just have to brush it off. I'm gonna get some oto's and see how they do.

Will a CAE eat brown algae or only green?

I just went out and bought one CAE for each tank. How do you know if they have enough of a natural algae supply or not? At what point would I need to drop in an algae disc for them?

When you don't notice much algae left and they're searching for food frantically.
Don't drop in the whole disk. Just 1/4 of the disk in each tank i'd say.
When he gets bigger or if you notice that the whole disk is gone quickly (by him) Try half..

HTH
-Dan

Otocinclus eat brown algae. Watch those CAE - they can get large and aggressive later.

Small plecos are also helpful, like bristlenose or rubberlip.

in my tank, it gets to be a 50/50 of brown algae and poop buildup on the plastic plants. algae eaters dont seem too interested, so i suck it up witht the gravel-vac.

Back
Top Bottom