Bubbling volcanoe: hard to sleep.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a new tank and a bubbling volcano that runs off a air pump, as all will know... I'm having a hard time sleeping with the humming noise. Will it effect my fishes health or cause a pH or change in anyway to my water if I turn it off just while I sleep at night??

i put mine on top of a folded up towel to at least reduce the humming amplification from the stand my tank is on. that helped a little bit

BHead707 said:
i put mine on top of a folded up towel to at least reduce the humming amplification from the stand my tank is on. that helped a little bit

Will def try that... If that don't work I'll have to start taking unisom.

If you have enough water circulation with your main filter (and you should choose a filter that gives you enough), the air pump is just for looks. So you should be Ok turning it off at night.

Now if the tank is overstocked, or the filter underpowered, etc. the airpump may be necessary to maintain enough aeration (esp. if your water temp is high). You might want to try shutting it off in the day time so you can watch your fish. <If they all gather at the top of the water gulping air ... you need more aeration!>

Another option is to put the airpump elsewhere .... some people put it inside a closet or even outside the room & run a long airline to the tank (you need a big enough pump to do that) .. or you can buy a quieter pump ....

jsoong said:
If you have enough water circulation with your main filter (and you should choose a filter that gives you enough), the air pump is just for looks. So you should be Ok turning it off at night.

Now if the tank is overstocked, or the filter underpowered, etc. the airpump may be necessary to maintain enough aeration (esp. if your water temp is high). You might want to try shutting it off in the day time so you can watch your fish. <If they all gather at the top of the water gulping air ... you need more aeration!>

Another option is to put the airpump elsewhere .... some people put it inside a closet or even outside the room & run a long airline to the tank (you need a big enough pump to do that) .. or you can buy a quieter pump ....

I've got a ten gallon tank with 3 zebra danios. There's alot of surface movement with just my filter.

Back
Top Bottom