building bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys!

I've gotten rid of my 55 gallon for space, and started fresh with a little 10 gallon since I only had 3 fish anyways. lol.

I've had this up for like 2 months now and I'm not showing any signs of cycling yet! Is there anything I can do to speed this up? Should I NOT rinse the filter in my dirty water during my changes? Would this help at all?

I'm using a API drop test kit and thus far the highest the ammonia got was .50, but generally hangs around .25. I've been doing weekly gravel vacs and about 30% water replacement. Rinsing filter in my dirty water bucket. Using prime. Anything else I can do?

I don't rinse my filter at less it is so cloged up the water can't pass threw or my nitrates start to get a little over board. So yes it may help store some of the BB. Plus I would clean your substrate all at once. What I'm getting at is maybe your cleaning to well

That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if it'd be okay not to rinse it. Also, I'm pretty sure you have to have SOME ammonia to get things moving, but what's an ideal amount to be at? Like .25 or less right?

shadylady23 said:
That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if it'd be okay not to rinse it. Also, I'm pretty sure you have to have SOME ammonia to get things moving, but what's an ideal amount to be at? Like .25 or less right?

I wouldn't worry so much if your using prime at water changes at less it starts to go up then freak out lol

Andrew McFadden said:
Well said ^^^ I still like my freak out part better tho lol

We must have posted at the same time, your freak out reply wasnt there when I replied lol.

Im glad you made this post shadylady, I've been doing the same thing and rinsing both my cartridges and my floss once a week in my old
tank water before I dump it, tomorrow will complete my 3rd week of my fish in cycle and I have yet to have any nitrites or nitrates and have been wondering why it's taking so long. I'm so ready to see a different color than blue and yellow for my daily nitrite and nitrate water tests! This could be why I haven't seen any nitrites or nitrates yet.

Back
Top Bottom