Building my first set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hows everyone doing over here?! Everything seems to be going good in my tank. I got my driftwood yesterday, and my background will be here on Monday. I am planning on waiting until I have to do my large water change to add in my new stuff and rearrange the tank since it will be a lot easier with less water.

Now on to the questions :) Fist, after a LOT of reading on here I have decided to add a few things. I would like to add a second filter, second heater, and a air pump. First things first, the filter which I want to add for more filtration (obviously), more arreation, and if one filter dies I would have SOMETHING till I can get it fixed/replaced. I think I have decided I want to add an Angel fish to my stocking plan (I know I said I didn't like them before, but I saw a couple I really liked), and according to AqAdviser I would need more filtration. My question is which filter should I add as a second? I currently have an Aqueon 55/75 and I don't think I really need a second one of those. I was looking at possibly the Aqueon 50 instead which will use the same filter cartridge as my current filter, so that should make it easier.

Next up is the heater. I want to add it for a lot of the same reasons as the second filter, more even heat, and a backup if something happens. I currently have an Aqueon Pro 200 now, and I think I want a second one of those. From what I have found the 200w is more or less just enough for my tank. That seems pretty accurate since it seems that the heater is on quite a bit.

And last, but not least is the air pump. I was told I don't need one when I got all of my equipment, and I have changed my mind. I was reading some threads on this, and I agree with the pro air stone people for more arreation which in turns means more oxygenation, and more movement of the water. I am thinking of adding two wands on either end. Reasoning behind that is I partly because I don't want to hide my new background, and also because I have a problem and everything needs to be symmetrical :) I am planning on using an Azoo air pump which I have heard are almost silent.

What does everyone think about my plan? Is the 50 a good second filter or overkill? Is the 200w heater good, or overkill (I don't think you will change my mind on this though :) ). What about the placement of the air wands, and the pump choice? As always, any and all advice is welcome! Lets hear what all of the experts have to say!

Thank you,
Sean

I'm bumpin this up for some answers! Also, while I'm at it Ill ask another easy question. How deep is too deep when it comes to sand? I have heard that if its too deep that it can create pockets of gasses I think. So I have heard anywhere from 1" to 6" deep is ideal. I just want to make sure mine is OK, because Id rather take some out now if I have to.

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF said:
Man, no love in here :(

Sean

Ok im here to spread the love haha but i sort of forget your stock! Sorry! Could you say it again please?

Well, here is what you had suggested at the start

Hehe i like stocking. How about...
2x angelfish
7x lemon tetra
7x rummynose tetra
1-2x GBR
6x cory cats
1x albino bristlenose pleco

Like it?

I tweaked it around to this

AquStockImage.php

And now I am thinking of this
AquStockImage.php

Let me know what you think!

Sean

Well I ordered up an air pump, line, bars, fittings and so on. I also got some other smaller maintenance things while I was at it. I was thinking about the second filter and heater, and I'm not sure which way to go. I was looking today, and I was thinking of getting a 15 gallon quarantine, so that means I could get a QuietFlow 20, and 100w heater which are both good for 30 gallons. So I could have them on the main tank 90% of the time, then put them on the quarantine tank when I need it.

Also I think that the AqAdvisor is not really accurate as far as filtration is concerned. They only have the QuietFlow 50 as an option which is much smaller than the 55/75 that I have. That is one of the reasons I downsized my extra filter so much. The 20 still takes the same filter, just moves less water.

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions?

Sean

Back
Top Bottom