Building retaining walls in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice I checked it out only problem with the web site it is all in dollars lol so could be a bit hard to but from having pounds. I need to build mine and put the sand in and would like to do it with my fish and not as a new set up.

Was thinking of taking the gravel I am going to be replacing and making a extra thick layer of gravel then building the retaining wall and adding the sand and then after a week or so remove the excess gravel to keep the bacteria going well as my tanks been running months and they all happy.

OK, here are the pics from my attempt to create a terrace in my 75 gallon. The first shot is of one of the sections (4 total) and it sort of shows how the silicone did not show up too badly during the construction phase...
img_1176286_0_d9f5424eddad14d7402819fc3baa987a.jpg

This one shows a section under water.
img_1176286_1_0e8363ddc9e7ae094a35f1c94f4da0a6.jpg

And this is with some added smaller sections (not tied to the egg crate on the bottom with fishing line, as the original sections are). These extra sections have plants glued to them. The rocks and plants on these sections were added to hide the silicone on the original sections. I poured black craft sand on the silicone for this second batch, instead of the aquarium gravel that I used on the original batch. Much easier, and hid the silicone much better!
img_1176286_2_e904a7f90b76069591d2ca502660d72e.jpg

I must say thats the best one I have seen so far. Well done bud I will be doning one soon as well. Due to other that have failed I was going to attempt using a glue gun or do you think the way you did it would be easier?

I do not know how a glue gun would work. It would set up faster than silicone, that's for sure! And if you look around, I bet you could find glue sticks in black or brown. But I would do a test, before investing a lot of time and effort. Some glue sticks are much better than others! Glue up some rocks, put them in a bucket for a few days. Might want to try gel crazy glue too. I understand that stuff turns white when dry, so maybe get some black/brown craft sand to pour on it before it dries. Get the longer drying version, so you have time. If I ever redo my terraces, that is what I will try.

Thanks! This was the final touch to a major tear-apart. I finally aquired a used Eheim 2028, which meant I could pull out the UGF plates, two power heads and the HOB filter. I figured while I was at it, it has time to redecorate. Fortunately, I had a 36 gallon tank to house my fish in during this time, because what I thought might take a week actually ended up taking almost a month. The Eheim leaked, requiring the replacement of an o-ring, and a gasket, AND the double tap connector, and then I had gravel problems...as in not enough, and nowhere to buy more of the same. But eventually, I did get it all together, and I am very pleased with it. That picture is just the left side. The terrace continues on to a larger area on the right, with more plants to hide the filter intake and output. All the larger plants in the higher section (and two large air stones) are tied to egg crate under the gravel, so nothing moves when I do a gravel clean.

Back
Top Bottom