calculating nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to tell when nitrite levels will decrease based on when ammonia levels spike? my understanding is that ammonia will spike, then nitrites, which convert to nitrates. is there any way to calculate when this will happen without testing the water so often? right now my nitrites are high and ammonia has started to go down a little. today is day 5 of the cycle.

I don't think there is a set calculation for days. There are a lot of factors involved: Type of filter, type of filter media, size of tank, etc.. 5 days seems really quick to already seeing a large nitrite spike, but it's not a bad thing. Normally the entire process takes about a month to complete. I wouldn't drive yourself crazy, just test every day or every other.

Is there a way to tell when nitrite levels will decrease based on when ammonia levels spike? my understanding is that ammonia will spike, then nitrites, which convert to nitrates. is there any way to calculate when this will happen without testing the water so often? right now my nitrites are high and ammonia has started to go down a little. today is day 5 of the cycle.

Have you added seeded media to your tank. Nitrite at day 5 is fast.

Back
Top Bottom