calvus dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was so sad today to move a shell, and discover not one, but two dead caovus in there. I noticed that i hadn't seen my beautiful male in awhile, so i was moving the shell around trying to swoosh some water in there, and that was when i found the terrible sight. I thought he and another fish were spawning about a month ago, he was guarding the shell agressively, but i never foresuer saw a female inside. I moved the shell into a breeding tank because my husband thought he had seen another fish inside, but when i put it in the breeding tank, he never came out once but he was alive because i did see him moving inside the shell. Concerned for his health and the stress i might have been causing i moved him back to his home tank (shell and all) after only a few days. That was about a week ago, and in that whole time, I never saw him. Today I finally found him and another fish in there. My conditions were all fine, and I do regular water changes. The temp is consistantly around 76, and I alwayse follow the same practice, in regards to declorination. I had a really healthy tank, but i'm really baffeled about these two deaths. It was a really big conch (i think) shell, the kind that has lots of sprials inside, and i'm wondering if the exchange of O2 might have been too poor in a shell that deep. I got rid of the shell, not wanting anyone else in the tank to fall victim. :( I attached a pic of the two fish that i found dead, and the shell that killed them.......so sad......

Attachments

• untitled-1_118.jpg
    untitled-1_118.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 173
Wow, they were beautiful. Sorry for your loss. Sorry I can't help you in your search for why it happened. :(

I am so sorry to hear this. I have heard that larger shells (marine mostly) are no good for shellies. They can get trapped in the shell, or go too far into it. I buy dead FW snails for my shellies (I boil the shells). They cannot go in too far, yet the shells give them protection and a place to raise their young. In Lake Tang, these fish spawn in snail shells, but I do not know the name of the snail.

Altos typically spawn in vertical fissures in rocks...it is possible that the shell was somehow inappropriate, especially lying on its back like that.

Back
Top Bottom