Can a saltwater filter-skimmer be used for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XimeD

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've had my 20gal for 3 months and decided to upgrade to a 75gal (LFS sold me fish that will get too big and this gave me an excuse to get a bigger tank :D)

I bought a 75gal acrylic tank on craigslist and it came with a CPR Cyclone Bak-pak 2R filter. So I am going to betray my ignorance here and ask whether I can still use this for freshwater and if so do I need to supplement with another filter?

I also have a more specific question, if proteins skimmers actually remove harmful organic comps and lighten the bioload why don't we just use those for freshwater too? Is it not worth it cost-wise? overkill maybe?

Thanks,

Skimmers don't work in FW .... From what I read, you need a certain level of specific gravity for the foaming action to work. So unless you have a cichlid tank with super hard water (so the sg is like that of SW), you can't get the skimmer to skim.

I won't use it then even though I do have pretty hard water (gH is 200-400ppm or 18 drops on the API liquid test kit, I am not sure what that makes the sg since I don't have a hydrometer).

The guy at the LFS said to disconnect the air on the skimmer and buy some bio-media (like fluval biomax) and put that inside what would have been the fractioning column of the skimmer. Any thoughts on this?

I will probably see if I can either sell or trade it.

Traded it for a Rena Xp3 filter at the LFS =)

Back
Top Bottom