Can adding plants mid-cycle cause a stall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just beginning my fishless cycle. I was thinking that next weekend I'd go and get some plants, but will this eff up my cycle? Should I just be patient and actually wait? ;)

I am not sure but I don't see what it would hurt as long as you keep an eye on the parameters and make any adjustments as needed. The plants will use some of the amonia.
My question would be if the amonia level of fishless cycling may be too high for the plants?

If you have already added ammonia to the tank to start the fishless cycle process, I would not add plants. You would have to add a light for the plants, and ammonia plus light will give you lots of algae.

I have a planted tank and the fish died. Until I could get more fish, I added a few drops of ammonia every day to keep the bacteria colony alive. I got a lot of algae and ended up tearing down and scrubbing out the tank. My plan may have worked for a week or two, but I added ammonia like this for a few months. Your fishless cycle may take 4-6 weeks, so to add ammonia to the tank with plants and light for that length of time is going to produce lots of algae. I would wait until your fishless cycle is complete before adding plants.

Back
Top Bottom