can driftwood touch the glass?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought a rather cool piece of driftwood a while back, kind of a tri-pod shape, and after 9 months of soaking, tannins are almost gone & it finally sinks. Plus, I now have 55 in which I think it would look really good. Only problem is that it barely fits in the tank - I can balance it so that none of the ends touch the glass but if I think of sneezing, part of it tips a bit. No weight is really resting against the glass so it's not as though something is being propped against the side of the tank, it's just touching.

This may sound paranoid but is this ok? Doesn't seem like it's applying any more pressure than the gravel or the water but kinda makes me nervous. I can post pics if that would help.

Thanks!

Pics would help.
Although in my case, mine is touching the glass quite snuggly and has been for months...

Should be fine. The pressure applied by the driftwood should be much less than that exerted by water. <Since it is mostly resting on the bottom, plus wood tend to float, even when water logged, the wood is almost weightless when under water.>

9 months of soaking?! Might be more water than wood by now ;0

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're trying to tell us that the wood may shift position drastically at some point. to repeat, pics would help.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're trying to tell us that the wood may shift position drastically at some point. to repeat, pics would help.

or if it is wedged in there real tight...

mine touches the tank and have had no issues... my sucker fish who i call Mr.P is always stuck to the wood and seems very content

Here are a few pictures of the new set-up with a closer look at the wood. It's not really clear but only the three points on the bottom (two in front & one towards the heater) touch the glass. It doesn't rock much but just set it up Sunday so I'll wait to see how it does while vacuuming the gravel. Is it too big for this size tank?

img_1040667_0_03ad7a201a3c3b7ee856ecc4956896f8.jpg
img_1040667_1_0c6241a0f7c0a7564aede1b4c4e2df2c.jpg

Funny thing about that - I posted that question when the tank was only half full and the wood sunk just fine. As I filled up the tank though, the stupid thing did just what wood normally does. In the first picture, you can see the zip-ties used attach the rock to the right section of the wood. Maybe in a few years it will be more like rock than wood. . .

You shouldn't have problems with the driftwood leaning on the glass as long as nothing hits the driftwood hard and suddenly. I have pieces of slate touching the sides of my tank and I have no problem.

I wouldn't worry about it, just be careful if you rescape the tank later - Don't bump it too hard! I have some red slate in my 30g that I used to make some caves. Quite a few pieces have been touching the glass for over a year and I haven't had any problems (scratches or cracks).

Back
Top Bottom