Can I add this while cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an API Rena Superclean 90 filter for my aquarium, which I just started (fish-less) cycling this weekend.

There are various extensions that I can put on this filter. One of them is meant for algae prevention (called "Prevent Algae"). It does this by eliminating phosphates and silicates.

I am wondering if it would mess up my cycle if I were to add this? Experts?

I guess you could, but it might just be a gimmick product. There are ways to reduce algae by limiting your lighting, etc. I wouldn't bother with it. But to answer your question I don't think it would interfere with your cycle if you wanted to use it.

One thing to remember is NOT to replace the filter media; the packaging will say to replace filters every x months, but don't do it. No need to replace them until they are literally falling apart, and if you do replace them you'll remove all of the beneficial bacteria you are growing and will start the cycling process over.

Good luck!

Thanks, librarygirl!

You don't think that messing with phosphates would have a negative effect? I am not sure if they are crucial for the development of beneficial bacteria or not.

Anyone?

Thanks, librarygirl!

You don't think that messing with phosphates would have a negative effect? I am not sure if they are crucial for the development of beneficial bacteria or not.

Anyone?

I have never heard that "messing with phosphates" would harm anything. Phosphates increase your likelyhood for algae. I try not to mess with too much myself. I only use Prime and Partial Water Changes.

I have never heard that "messing with phosphates" would harm anything. Phosphates increase your likelyhood for algae. I try not to mess with too much myself. I only use Prime and Partial Water Changes.

Yes, I do know that phosphates increase the likelihood of algae -- maybe I wasn't clear, but the filter extension I am talking about removes phosphates (thereby preventing algae growth). And I am wondering if doing that could have a negative impact on the cycle -- as in, do beneficial bacteria need phosphates to develop ? If I remove them, is that a bad thing for the cycle itself?

kindafishy said:
Yes, I do know that phosphates increase the likelihood of algae -- maybe I wasn't clear, but the filter extension I am talking about removes phosphates (thereby preventing algae growth). And I am wondering if doing that could have a negative impact on the cycle -- as in, do beneficial bacteria need phosphates to develop ? If I remove them, is that a bad thing for the cycle itself?

I'd just hold off on using it until you're cycled. Unless the tank is planted the lights will be off anyway...so no algae issues.

Beneficial bacteria do need some degree of phosphates to colonize...that's why adding in a small pinch of fish food can help with cycling by adding more in. However, I doubt the product you have removes 100% of them...but it's a toss up. I'd just hold off personally.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

I'd just hold off on using it until you're cycled. Unless the tank is planted the lights will be off anyway...so no algae issues.

Beneficial bacteria do need some degree of phosphates to colonize...that's why adding in a small pinch of fish food can help with cycling by adding more in. However, I doubt the product you have removes 100% of them...but it's a toss up. I'd just hold off personally.

Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

But my tank IS planted ! I have probably 1/3 of the surface area (perhaps a little less) planted.

I think I will hold off on the phosphate remover, based on what you are saying. Still, I am a bit worried that this will become an algae-ridden mess...and once that starts, it's difficult to reverse the process!!

A bit nervous about this.

P.S. thanks for the link!!

librarygirl said:
I guess you could, but it might just be a gimmick product. There are ways to reduce algae by limiting your lighting, etc. I wouldn't bother with it. But to answer your question I don't think it would interfere with your cycle if you wanted to use it.

One thing to remember is NOT to replace the filter media; the packaging will say to replace filters every x months, but don't do it. No need to replace them until they are literally falling apart, and if you do replace them you'll remove all of the beneficial bacteria you are growing and will start the cycling process over.

Good luck!

After reading this, I have a question. Is it ok to remove the mechanical filter media if it is so dirty that it is clogged? By clogged I meant slowing the filter's flow rate down until the filter is barely filtering at all, like the output is only drips.

I would take some water from the tank and rinse the filter media in that water. Just a couple of squeezes just to unclog it. Then put the wet media back in and it should improve the flow.

Back
Top Bottom