Can i cycle without a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeDaniels

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am I able to cycle without a fishless cycle, what is the best way to do it apart from the fishless ? How did they used to do it ? Any help would be brilliant :) thanks

Am I able to cycle without a fishless cycle, what is the best way to do it apart from the fishless ? How did they used to do it ? Any help would be brilliant :) thanks

"Am I able to cycle without a fishless cycle?"

Are you asking if you can do a fish in cycle? If so, in some cases yes. It will depend on how hardy your fish are :fish2: and how much work and time your willing to dedicate :banghead: to doing it the right way.

What do you mean by :confused: "how did they used to do it"?

I bought tank and fish before I found about abuse to fishes...I did a partial water change at least every day and test water to make sure my ammonia was below .25. I was lucky and got it cylced in 3 weeks but with daily monitoring and many plants.

I mean before fishless cycle came about as it has only been about for 10-20 from what I have read and also I have just got my hands on some water and gravel from a very mature and well kept tank so this should help largely :):):)

I just had a horrid experience with fish-in cycling. I wasn't told of any other options and it was before I did research. I had 4 fish in my tank. I went nuts doing water changes 1-3x per day, testing water 1-3x per day, and worrying constantly (even waking in the middle of the night to test water). Even after a month of this my tank did not show any signs of trying to cycle. Finally after a large water change my fish all died within 12 hours. Now I'm doing a fishless cycle. I suggest you do the same, save yourself (and your potential fish) a lot of pain and heartache.

I mean before fishless cycle came about as it has only been about for 10-20 from what I have read and also I have just got my hands on some water and gravel from a very mature and well kept tank so this should help largely :):):)

If you have water (especially nasty junky water vaccumed out of the substrate) and gravel (unbleached) from a mature tank, and stock the bio load slowly in your tank, there is no need to cycle at all. All a cycle does is establish bacteria levels in the water and in the substrate. If those bacteria already exist (which they do if you are transfering them from a mature tank), so long as you don't overstock and/or overfeed and cause ammonia levels to rise too quickly you are fine. You will still need to purchase some test kits to ensure that your chemical levels stay in the safe zone.

Wy Renegade said:
If you have water (especially nasty junky water vaccumed out of the substrate) and gravel (unbleached) from a mature tank, and stock the bio load slowly in your tank, there is no need to cycle at all. All a cycle does is establish bacteria levels in the water and in the substrate. If those bacteria already exist (which they do if you are transfering them from a mature tank), so long as you don't overstock and/or overfeed and cause ammonia levels to rise too quickly you are fine. You will still need to purchase some test kits to ensure that your chemical levels stay in the safe zone.

So I can basically just grab that stuff, slowly add it to my tank, then bam add some fish ?? Just make sure I grab a test kit to keep on top ?

The gravel will help a little, the water not so much. The NitrAtes you want are found growing on the decorations and in the filter media. If you can get your hands on a well established filter you can cycle your tank in about a week. depending on how much gravel you have it will help too. But your best bet to speed up the cycle process is an established filter.
Otherwise it could take up to 2 months to cycle your tank.

So I can basically just grab that stuff, slowly add it to my tank, then bam add some fish ?? Just make sure I grab a test kit to keep on top ?

No, you can't just add this stuff to your tank and then fully stock it with fish.

Is your tank currently running or are you just setting it up? If you're just setting it up, add the substrate from the mature tank and mix in any additional new substrate you need. Add the junky water first till it covers the substrate, then add new water till the tank is filled. Give 24 hours for the water to settle and heater to stabilize. Test your levels, if they are good, add a fish or two (no more). Test daily - if levels stay in the safe zone, you can add another fish or two in a couple days and so on.

No, you can't just add this stuff to your tank and then fully stock it with fish.

Is your tank currently running or are you just setting it up? If you're just setting it up, add the substrate from the mature tank and mix in any additional new substrate you need. Add the junky water first till it covers the substrate, then add new water till the tank is filled. Give 24 hours for the water to settle and heater to stabilize. Test your levels, if they are good, add a fish or two (no more). Test daily - if levels stay in the safe zone, you can add another fish or two in a couple days and so on.

Yes I agreee. I forgot to say I only had 3 fish in the tank.

The gravel will help a little, the water not so much. The NitrAtes you want are found growing on the decorations and in the filter media. If you can get your hands on a well established filter you can cycle your tank in about a week. depending on how much gravel you have it will help too. But your best bet to speed up the cycle process is an established filter.
Otherwise it could take up to 2 months to cycle your tank.

Actually, if you get the nasty gunky water from vaccuming it helps quite a bit, but you are correct in that "normal" tank water makes little difference.

Not to be mean, but actually, what you want is bacteria, not nitrates. Nitrates don't grow, they accumulate. Nitrates are the semi end of the nitrate cycle that accumulates in our aquariums as a result of the biological breakdown of left over food and waste, and are inert chemicals. Bacteria grow and convert ammonia into nitrites, then nitrate. Plants and filters remove the nitrates, and some (anearobic) bacteria convert it into nitrogen gas which then exits the tank as bubbles.

Ok so here's how I currently have my setup, tank has been filled and filter running with dechlorinated water for about 5 days heater came today at 7am this morning GMT and has been running since and is a comfortable 24 degrees :) I have a bit of fern in there aswell which is nice, am gonna get more tomorrow I think :) maybe a test kit. Then within the next two days, hopefully tomorrow I should be receiving the mature tank water and gravel tomorrow and not to sure what else he may bring me. What to do now ? And what kit should I pick up that wont break my pocket :) thankyou :)

Ok so here's how I currently have my setup, tank has been filled and filter running with dechlorinated water for about 5 days heater came today at 7am this morning GMT and has been running since and is a comfortable 24 degrees :) I have a bit of fern in there aswell which is nice, am gonna get more tomorrow I think :) maybe a test kit. Then within the next two days, hopefully tomorrow I should be receiving the mature tank water and gravel tomorrow and not to sure what else he may bring me. What to do now ? And what kit should I pick up that wont break my pocket :) thankyou :)

When the mature gravel arrives, drain your tank down as far as you can, storing the water in 5 gallons buckets or a tub or whatever you have available. Add/mix the gravel from his tank into the existing gravel from your tank, then cover the substrate with the nastiest looking portion of the water he brings. Then refill with the water you saved, and reestablish your temperature. Once the temp. establishes, test for ammonia and nitrite levels. Once ammonia and nitrite levels are a zero you are ready to add your first fish or two. What are you using for filtration on your tank, and how large is it?

Sounds spot on should take no longer the then about a day to me thats what I was gonna try now you have verified, I have a coopet power head 5w with spray bar, why's that ? The donut in my local tiny pet store said yeah just get a heater and some aquasafe and put your fish in YEAH RIGHT haha but I don't remember it being this hard with my old man haha keep the posts coming as it's doing me some serious favours :) thanks

Sounds spot on should take no longer the then about a day to me thats what I was gonna try now you have verified, I have a coopet power head 5w with spray bar, why's that ? The donut in my local tiny pet store said yeah just get a heater and some aquasafe and put your fish in YEAH RIGHT haha but I don't remember it being this hard with my old man haha keep the posts coming as it's doing me some serious favours :) thanks

Powerhead will give you water movement, but what are you using for actual filtration? Undergravel filter/Hang-on Back Filter or Canister? You will have to have some type of filter in place.

Wy Renegade said:
Powerhead will give you water movement, but what are you using for actual filtration? Undergravel filter/Hang-on Back Filter or Canister? You will have to have some type of filter in place.

Yeah it's a filter aswell hang on back filter has a filter sponge etc etc just happens to have a spray bar aswell

:) wicked, thanks for all the help :) so have any recommendations for my fish ?

LOL, not really without knowing more - how large is your tank, and what type of fish are you interested in? Are you considering planted or nonplanted, aggressive or nonaggressive?

Back
Top Bottom